66°

If It’s Free, It’s For Me!

If it’s after class and you don’t feel like sitting in rush hour traffic to head home, you can’t take anymore academia, or you just want to hang out and catch a good movie, where can you turn? With movie ticket prices creeping towards nearly $10 a ticket, a trip to the cinema could wind up costing you a fortune. Luckily, the Student Arts and Events Council (SAEC) at Umass Boston have put together a great series of FREE movies right here on Campus. So gather your friends, grab a drink and a snack, and head on over to the feature film, for far less money (and hassle) than a trip to the local theater. Also be sure to check out other events that the SAEC is sponsoring and organizing by visiting the Office of Student Activities and Leadership on the 3rd Floor of the Campus Center.

Upcoming Films:October 17, 5pmStomp the YardStarring: Columbus Short, Meagan Good, Ne-Yo, Allan Louis

Looking for a foot-stomping, rhythmically-charged experience? Then “Stomp the Yard” is definitely a good choice. This film is more raw than “You Got Served” but with the same incredible dancing and heart pounding rhythm. “Stomp The Yard” is the story of a young man who avenges his brother’s death through step dancing. Arriving in Atlanta after his brother is killed by a rival crew, DJ joins a stepping fraternity and shows those around him how to step for real. Filled with romance, drama, and lots of heart-pumping dancing, I often found myself standing up to dance when I was watching it. It’s a great movie and definitely one to check out, no matter what type of movie you are into (comedy, hard-core dancing, romance, action, drama). Be sure to get there on time, as it’s only playing one night here on campus, so there’ll likely be lots of people waiting to take in “Stomp the Yard.”

October 30 & 31, 4pmDisturbiaStarring: Shia LaBeouf, Sarah Roemer, Carrie-Ann Moss, David Morse

FIRST HALF OF A HALLOWEEN DOUBLE FEATURE! This movie is jam packed with thrills, chills and surprises. LaBeouf (in what many call his “breakout role”) plays Kale, a delinquent who is sentenced to house arrest with an ankle monitor. Confined to his home Kale has nothing better to do than watch the comings and goings of his neighbors. He spies the new girl next door who just so happens to be kind of hot. Also, there is the creepy neighbor who just may happen to be a killer. The movie is one of the great movies of the season and definitely will have you jumping out of your seat. Not your usual and predictable “scary movie,” director DJ Caruso keeps you guessing and on the edge of your seat till the very last scene. Definitely mark your calendar for this one! You won’t want to miss it!

October 30 & 31, 6pm1408Starring: John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson, Mary McCormack

THE SECOND HALF OF A HALLOWEEN DOUBLE FEATURE! What’s better than getting in scared-straight mode on Halloween after watching “Disturbia?” Watching “1408” at UMB of course! This is the second part of the Oct 30 & 31 double feature. This movie is a true psychological thriller that will have you making sure the next time you stay at a hotel, you’re not put in a room #1408! (Ok, may be a stretch, but it’s scary!) Based on the Stephen King novel, “1408” is the story of an author who travels to a supposedly haunted hotel in order to find inspiration for his newest novel. Despite the warnings of hotel owner Samuel L. Jackson, he ventures at his own risk and finds out the truth behind room 1408. Be sure to have someone with you when you see this movie (in fact, bring all your friends! The more the merrier!), as it will have you terrified to go into the parking lot! A great choice for a night filled with thrills, chills, and no dollar bills.

November 13 & 14, 5pmThe Bourne UltimatumStarring: Matt Damon, Julia Stiles, David Strathairn

Action and suspense lovers will be delighted to hear that the SAEC is screening the third installment of Bourne movies, “The Bourne Ultimatum” right here on Campus. While you might want to rent the first two, just to get the general premise of the story line that is continued in “Ultimatum”, it’s not necessary to enjoy the secrecy and tension in the movie. Plus, it stars Boston homeboy Matt Damon, so support a local! After being left off wanting more, this flick about an FBI agent who is being followed, tracked, and still manages to get away leaves you wanting more. Jason Bourne (Damon’s character) is once again called for a meeting with a local news reporter, and soon realizes (with his crafty intellect) he’s being scammed. Facing lots of demons within the agency in which he works, he finally has to use his brainiac power to break out of his secretive lifestyle and get home safely, all while dodging the proverbial (and actual) bullets of his adversaries. The movie earned rave reviews (as did the first two) and for good reason: it’s a good movie! Be sure to stop by and catch the showing of “The Bourne Ultimatum” and you won’t be disappointed.

November 27 & 28, 5pmPan’s LabyrinthStarring: Ivana Baquero, Sergi López, Doug Jones

This fantasy-drama-thriller combination movie is one of great imagination and definitely a must-see. Translated from the original “Laberinto de fauno,” “Pan’s Labyrinth” explores the inner fantasy world of a young child growing up facing adversity and hardship. The story shows young Ofelia (Baquero) as she and her pregnant and sick mother live under fascist rule in Spain in the 1940’s. Because she cannot psychically escape the world around her, Ofelia constructs an imaginary world of mysticism and wonder, leading her through a maze of conflict within her own mind. In this maze, she meets a faun (Pan) who assigns her to complete three “gruesome” tasks to prove her royalty within the fantasy world she has created. If unable to do so, the faun explains, she will never again be able to see her real father (the king). These three tasks, I will leave to your imagination until November 27 and 28, but you will not be disappointed or left with a bad taste in your mouth after experiencing the critically acclaimed “Pan’s Labyrinth.” Not just for psychology majors, this film about the inner mental workings of a child in distress and the fairy-tale troubles that lie within will surely have you rethinking the line between fantasy and reality.

December 11 & 12, 5pmGood Luck ChuckStarring: Dane Cook, Jessica Alba

Why pay money now when you can wait a few months and see this new release for free at UMB? Not for the prudent bunch, this slapstick comedy has been hailed as a great movie that will have you laughing out loud. Dane Cook (Arlington dude) stars as Chuck, who has a special “gift” of sleeping with women, which leads to the women falling in love with the next guy she meets. Works like a charm. While his buddies think his “gift” is awesome (he gets to shack up with women and not have to have a relationship afterwards), he finds it more of a curse when he meets someone who he actually falls for and doesn’t want to ruin it with. Enter Alba’s uncoordinated, accident-prone character. Chemistry between the two is undeniable and it should be interesting to see how Alba handles her first comedic starring role. “Good Luck Chuck” is definitely a great way to loosen up before studying for finals and to celebrate the last few days of school with your closest buds, chillin and laughing.

Amy Julian served as the arts editor for The Mass Media the following years: 2008-2009;