66°

Eight Game Win Streak Snapped

Eight Game Win Streak Snapped
Eight Game Win Streak Snapped

Entering Thursday night’s game at the Clark Athletic Center, the UMass Boston volleyball team had a streak of eight consecutive wins. The Beacons made a valiant effort to continue the streak, but came up just short. In a match that was back and forth throughout the night, Roger Williams University kept pursuing and eventually left with the win 3-1. Only a small margin of points separated UMass Boston from taking the match to a fifth set as they fell, 30-27.

Freshman libero and Little East Rookie of the Week Emily Thompson held the fort down with 18 digs. Sophomore Kate White led the Beacons with 15 kills, four aces, and four digs. Senior setter Randle Stock continues to produce with 43 assists while adding a block and five digs. Freshman outside hitter Karly Sanchez drilled 11 kills, four kills, and one block.

Although the Beacons came out with a loss, it could have gone either way. Roger Williams fought back hard in two sets that really determined the outcome of this one. The 2007 UMass volleyball team has come a long way this season and Assistant Coach Ken McNeeley has been there throughout it all. “There was one point in the season when we were 5-10. The girls bonded together through the tough time and have really started playing to their best potential and the team is now 13-11 and looking to make a strong finish to the season before the LEC tournaments comes around.”

Hopefully UMass can come together and make a run for the Little East Tournament and reward themselves with something to show for this interesting year they have had. Roger Williams University has improved its record to 16-10 on the season.