66°

Beer, Beer, Everywhere

It’s October. It’s a month of ghosts and witches, of falling leaves and chilly nights. It’s fall in New England and we’re about to usher in another harsh winter. But, it’s also a month of Oktoberfests. October is a month made for drinking beer.

Boston is a beer drinker’s dream. After all, it is the city of Sam Adams, both the man and the beer. As a connoisseur of beer myself I have set out into the city to find the best beer selections out there. From Allston to Jamaica Plain, Somerville to Roslindale, I’ve scoured the darkest of dives and the trendiest of upscale bars. I’ve eaten my fair share class of pretzels and peanuts and I’ve found the best beer selections the city has to offer. And now I will let you in on the secret.

First on the list is a bar that shares its name with a notoriously drunken author, Bukowski’s Tavern. Author Charles Bukowski is dead and gone, but were he here he would probably be sitting at the bar in Bukowski’s. With two locations, one in the Back Bay and one in Cambridge’s Inman Square, Bukowski’s is a Boston beer drinker’s delight. In a city well known for its rich literary tradition, Bukowski’s is the kind of place where both college kids and literati alike can step up to the bar and emulate the great author himself. With 12 different taps and over 100 different bottles to choose from, Bukowski’s will keep the curious beer drinker coming back for more.

Number two on our list is a lesser-known pub in Brookline’s Washington Square. The Publick House is Boston’s destination for some of the world’s best beer. Belgium beers have long been unmatched worldwide when it comes to quality and flavor and The Publick House has got them. With 27 taps and over 150 bottles to choose from The Publick House can’t be beat when it comes to beers of a European flavor. Lesser-known, and in a less visited area than the other two bars I mention, The Publick House is Boston’s diamond in the rough when it comes to beer selection.

Last, but certainly not least, is the undisputed king of Boston’s beer selection Sunset Grill and Tap. Located in the heart of student-populated Allston, Sunset is packed almost every night and it doesn’t take long to figure out why. With an astounding 112 beers on tap and over 400 different bottled varieties Sunset always has something for everyone. A different beer every night and it would take over a year to try them all. There is no doubt that for the serious beer drinker this is the place to be.

So, save up some money and put down the Keystone Light. Take a trip into town and check out any of the hundreds of different beers out there. Bukowski’s Tavern, The Publick House, and Sunset Grill and Tap are all great bets to tempt the tastebuds with a little hops and barley. Next Thirsty Thursday get off the couch and take in some fermented fun. Cheers!

Michael Hogan served as the following positions at The Mass Media for the following years: Editor-in-Chief: Spring 2008; Fall 2008 Arts Editor: Spring 2007; Fall 2007