57°

Cheap Boston

Dinosaur exhibit at the Museum of Science

Boston is routinely ranked as one of the most expensive cities in the US. This can be a major problem for cash strapped college students that populate the city. Those looking to escape the torment of homework shelled out by sadistic professors, the confinement of a cramped apartment, or the suffocation of family find it difficult afford a relaxing day aware from the stress of school, work, and home life. However there is hope. You can get out and mingle with society every once in a while without spending a dime, and I’m here to highlight some of the best ways to spend that free weekend or fill that long break before or after class. This week’s suggestion will not only entertain, but also enlighten and educate as I round up of the best museums and when you can get in for free.

Where: MIT Museum; 256 Massachusetts Ave., MIT Bldg. N52, Cambridge.

When to go: Sundays 10 a.m. to noon

How to get there: Take the Red Line to Central Square.

What to see: The MIT Museum offers a unique experience, showcasing work on the cutting edge of science and technology, and promoting a sense of artistic creativity at the same time. Robots and Beyond: Exploring Artificial Intelligence at MIT is an ongoing, multimedia exhibition that introduces visitors to the world of A.I. and robotics. The exhibition, a collaboration between the museum and the MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab, focuses on the research and advancements in the field of A.I, while educating visitors on the ways that robots learn and how they will be used to assist humans in the future.

Visitors won’t want to miss Gestural Engineering: The Sculpture of Arthur Ganson an incredible exhibit of kinetic sculpture that mixes mechanical engineering and choreography.

Also on display is Holography: The Light Fantastic, which features twenty-three jaw-dropping holograms from the MIT Museum holography collection.

Find out more: http://web.mit.edu/museum/index.html

Where: Harvard Museum of Natural History; 26 Oxford St., Cambridge

When to go: Sunday 9 a.m. to noon, Wednesday 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

How to get there: Take the Red Line to Harvard Square

What to see: The Harvard Museum of Natural History possesses a one-of-a-kind collection covering of all aspects of nature. The goal of the museum, a co-operative venture among the Museum of Comparative Zoology, the Harvard University Herbaria, and the Minteralogical and Geological Museum is to illuminate the importance of the human-nature relationship and to promote a better understanding of the natural world.

The museum contains an impressive set of fossils and skeletal remains from animals as varied as the Dodo, giant whales and dinosaurs. It also has more stuffed animals then my bedroom when I went through that awkward phase in fourth grade. Okay, maybe it was seventh grade, the point is you can see life-sized reproductions of a hippo, Polar bear and Bengal tiger.

Find out more: www.hmnh.harvard.edu

Where: Museum of Fine Arts; 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston

When to go: Wed, Sep 19, 4 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.

How to get there: Take the Green Line “E” train to the Museum of Fine Arts stop.

What to see: The MFA is Boston’s preeminent source for truly great art. The museum contains art from around the world by great artists of all styles. In addition to the museum’s renowned collection of ukiyo-e paintings, currently being showcased as part of the Drama and Desire exhibit, a selection of work by Boston native Winslow Homer, mostly known for his spectacular marine seascapes, is also on display through September.

Find out more: www.mfa.org