63°

Women’s Volleyball Recap

The Lady Beacons of volleyball gather together in preparation for a season of handing out ass whuppings.

As the UMass Boston volleyball team hits the halfway mark in the 2007 season, things are starting to turn around quickly. After seven consecutive losses, the Beacons went into last night’s match against Wentworth Institute of Technology riding a two game win streak, hoping to make it three.

Freshman setter Alexandra Quinn set up 39 assists while Sophomore middle hitter Natalie Crist took full advantage scoring 15 points, along with eight kills, five aces, and two blocks to lead the UMass Boston Beacons over the Wentworth Leopards. The Leopards got off to a good start taking the first set 23-30, however it was no match for the Beacons, who took the next three sets, 30-19, 30-22, and 30-22.

In a collaborated effort, the team received help from all areas, each player taking on a role. Sophmore outside hitter, Megan MacAuley added six kills, 12 digs, and four aces, freshman libero Emily Thompson also had 12 digs and adding three kills. Sophomore outside hitter, and reigning Little East Rookie of the Year Kate White, contributed nine kills, eight digs, two aces, and a block while Freshman outside hitter Karly Sanchez’s match high nine kills and four blocks helped en route to victory in Tansey Gymnasium at Wentworth.

With three consecutive wins, the Beacons next game is the home opener to Worcester State College. Worcester holds a 4-4 record, but is looking to get back at the Beacons who beat them last year. Head Coach Terry Condon has to be feeling good going into next Wednesday’s game with the team’s recent success, hoping to carry on with what they have been doing and put them within two games of .500.

This team seems to be meshing well together at the right time in the season to turn it around and hopefully finish with a better record than last year (18-12), and possibly qualify for the Little East Conference Tournament in 2007.

Next Game: Worcester State Lancers vs. UMass Boston Beacons 9/19 at 6:00.