57°

When They Were Your Age

When They Were Your Age

If you received a dollar every time a celebrity was making headlines, you would be rich. The world has become obsessed with knowing every detail and fact about these stars, but what about the earlier years of their lives? Never fear, Brad Dunn’s When They Were 22 compiles 100 famous faces sharing their stories on struggles, first jobs, and college leading to how they entered their prospective industries.

The list ranges from Curtis Jackson (50 Cent) to Ernest Hemingway to RuPaul. Some of their experiences are far from glamorous and others didn’t even want to be in Hollywood.

It’s fascinating to see how someone like Brad Pitt went from chauffeuring strippers in a limo to getting his big break in Thelma and Louise. He, like many before him, worked odd jobs in order to survive.

“Those jobs kept me in Cap’n Crunch and peanut butter and jelly,” said Pitt.

Inspiring is a good word to describe the struggle musician Billy Joel faced in battling suicidal depression before writing his hit ballad Piano Man just a few months after turning 22. From there, he has continued to push out hit after hit, including We Didn’t Start the Fire and Just the Way You Are.

Other familiar faces include: Pamela Anderson, Howard Stern, Malcolm X, Oprah Winfrey, Steven Spielberg, and Steve Martin. This book is a quick read, but each icon has something worth reading about and you may be surprised how much they have in common with others.

Next time you’re in a Barnes and Nobles, Borders or surfing Amazon, check out When They Were 22 for a fun read and perhaps some inspiration with your own ambitions too.