66°

News Briefs

News Briefs
News Briefs

Financial Aid Workshop at UMass BostonMassachusetts State Representative Marie St. Fleur and American Student Assistance, a local nonprofit company that helps students manage higher education debt, are going to hold a workshop about student loan repayment at UMass Boston on Oct. 10. ASA will have a presentation by a financial aid adviser about payment plans for federal loans and will have payment counselors on-hand to offer advice to individuals and answer questions about loans. The workshop will be held in the third floor ballroom of the Campus Center at 7 p.m.

Model United Nations MeetingsUMass Boston Model United Nations, a mock-up of the United Nations where participants act as representatives of foreign countries acting out the foreign policies of that country, is meeting at 4:15 p.m. every Monday in the Model UN office on the third floor of the Campus Center. Members will be training to be proper delegates at the meetings, and will be sending delegates to the Harvard National Model United Nations Conference, scheduled for mid-February. Those who are interested should send an email to [email protected].

“American Idol” for the Business CrowdBang Ventures, a Cambridge-based investment firm, is holding a contest called “You Be the VC,” where students can enter their ideas for businesses and try to win financial backing and strategic support from the company. Bang Ventures is looking for proposals for companies looking to be the next Google or Facebook-those in the social networking, advanced search and mobile applications. To find out more, and to enter the competition, visit www.youbethevc.com.

Jumpstart looking for students to joinJumpstart, a program that helps prepare preschool-aged children for school, is looking for students with work-study to join their program. All majors, ages and levels of experienced are encouraged to apply. Jumpstart has partnered with UMass Boston for seven years, and has helped numerous children build language and literacy skills. To apply, visit www.jstart.org/apply. Contact Jumpstart by email at [email protected] or by calling 617-287-7944 with any questions.