66°

Beacons cruise in win over Worcester State

Kate White
Kate White

Riding a three game win streak, the UMass Boston volleyball team was on a mission. Hosting Worcester State College in the first game of 2007 in the Clark Athletic Center, the Beacons weren’t fooling around, easily taking this match 3-0.

UMass took an early lead in the first set; however the Lancers fought back hard to even things up. With help from all areas of the court, the Beacons eventually took it down 30-22. Freshman libero Emily Thompson had an excellent game defensively, not to mention 17 assists and two digs. Senior setter Randal Stock made things a bit easier for the ladies setting them up with 37 assists, and adding two aces, two kills, and three digs. The second set happened to be a lot closer, UMass edging out Worcester 33-31. The outside hitters applied constant pressure to the Lancers; Sophomore Kate White with a team-high 13 kills, Freshman Karly Sanchez had 11, and Sophomore Megan MacAuley added eight kills and nine digs. Worcester State made a good run in the last set, but the Beacons held on and closed the night out 30-22, making it four consecutive wins.

UMass volleyball coach Terry Condon has her team playing well heading into the Little East Tri-match on Saturday, September 22. The Beacons will square off against Keene State College and Eastern Connecticut State University. Condon said, “I planned on a tougher schedule early in the season, to prepare us for the Little East Tournament later in the season.” UMass seems as though they are on the right track to becoming a big threat further down the road.

Next Game: UMass Boston vs. Western New England 7:00