66°

Holiday Happenings

Holiday Happenings

What do people think of when they think of December? For most of us, we probably still remember Christmas, or Chanukah traditions (I choose to spell it “Cha” because that is how my name is spelled, and because the use of double k’s is just ridiculous), like listening to “White Christmas,” or listening to Adam Sandler’s “Chanukah Song.” Just look at us now, all grown up and in college. Aren’t we special?

For many students, the “holiday season” has changed significantly in recent years as the quest for independence rages on. I have no doubt there are quite a few UMassinites out there who will be spending their first December outside the comforts of home.

But fear not, for now is the time to create new holiday traditions. December is a festive time; there are lights to be seen, ice skating to be done, and hot cocoa to be drunk. So pull yourself out from that crippling depression by trying one of these magnificent activities.

New York is famous for its winter events, with the skating rink and Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center, and horse-drawn carriage rides through Central Park. And if there’s one thing Boston is good at, it’s ripping off New York.

The Boston equivalent of Rockefeller Center is Boston Common. It is here where our very own giant Christmas tree is located. The lighting of the tree is always a popular event, and this year was no different. The impressive display brought politicians and celebrities to the Common, including members of the World Series Champion Red Sox, to crowd around this icon of Boston winter wonder. Just a stone’s throw from the Christmas tree, you can take part in another timeless Boston tradition: skating on the Frog Pond. During the winter you can practice you triple axles, or take a date out for a jaunt across the ice, hand-in-hand. Not only is it cheap, but the picturesque Common, dressed in sparkling lights, sets the mood perfectly. As an added bonus, you have an excuse to put your arms all over your partner in order to keep your balance and stay warm.

Or, if you’re not quite ready to embarrass yourself in front of your new love interest by taking a nosedive in public, there are horse-drawn carriage rides available in the vicinity of Faneuil Hall. It’s a great way to get a look at Boston’s historic landmarks, and offers plenty of romance. So huddle up beneath a nice warm blanket with a thermos of hot chocolate, and just try to keep your hands off each other.

If outdoor activities aren’t quite your thing, don’t fret. Boston has another December tradition that everyone should experience at least once. For the past 40 years, the Boston Ballet has performed Tchaikovsky’s classic, “The Nutcracker.” Not only is it longest running production in the city, it is also the most widely-attended ballet production in the world.

The world-famous Boston Ballet never fails to dazzle with this annual display, and the elegant, and recently refurbished, Boston Opera House adds volumes to the atmosphere.

So, whether it be a trip to the Frog Pond, or a night at the Ballet, Boston offers heaps of holiday traditions for you to discover.