63°

Wick’s Two Cents

There are always topics to ponder and opinions to consider in the wide expanse of Boston sports. Every week, the Mass Media talks to Alan Wickstrom, UMB’s Sports Information Director, to get his opinion on a relevant Boston sports topic.

This week, we ask Alan which professional sport’s All-Star game is the most exciting. You may be surprised by his answer…

I’m so biased because I have played and watched baseball my entire life, but I can see how others can be bored by it because there isn’t constant action going on all the time. That being said, because the game has no clock, a team is never out of it. With basketball, I think so many say that you only need to watch the final two minutes of a game. Very rarely does one shot win a basketball game, where, in hockey, you never know when that goal is going to come, but if it’s tied and late in the game, it’s one of the most exciting things, like a walk-off home run in [baseball]. I think football combines baseball and basketball, where you have the action, but you have the constant scrutiny of strategic moves throughout the contest. I’m sorry, but I’m taking the coward’s way out of this one and saying that they’re all entertaining for different reasons.