63°

Selling Business Communication Skills

Springboards Corporate language training center was the brain child of a current UMass Boston Graduate Student Nadia Nassif. Very articulate and a keen observer herself, Nadia, while working in teams, came to know that many times individuals fail because they lack business communication skills. She quickly concluded that in the global marketplace there is no room at all for communication gaps and hence developed a business idea on the current situation. With an aim to leave a mark and make a name for herself in the industry, Nadia entered the business plan competition organized by UMass Boston in the Fall of 2007. Her zeal and promising proposal won her the first prize in the competition and a grant of $2500 from the Venture Development Center. Without halting Nadia embarked upon her journey and worked with Dr William Koehler, Mark Allio and Prof. Lichtenstein to develop her business idea. The day came in the February of 2008 when she finally embarked upon the journey of breaking the communication barriers and started Springboards.

Springboards provides language and communication training to upper and mid-level business professional, working with them on a one on one or a group basis. There are many language development centers in the market that work with clients to hone their language skills. Springboards on the other hand is different from the rest as it works on the business communication skills of its clients. Besides helping the international business personnel to understand the American culture and communication skills better Springboards also works with the locals to chisel out their corporate communiqué skills as well. Hence a person who has virtually spent his entire life in the United States is a potential client for the company.

The company follows a simple yet a very powerful seven step strategy which is flexible enough to adjust to the varied needs of the professionals. Springboards provides personalized assistance to its clients and each of the seven steps is customized according to their needs, the program doesn’t start until both the clients and the service providers are on the same page. The clients are trained to get their points across in a business scenario, corporate ethics, appropriate body language and etiquettes and written and oral communication and presentation skills. Responding to the busy and strictest schedules of its corporate clients Springboards allows them to choose the time as per their convenience and ask for minimal commitment of four to eight hours each month. Nadia personally designs the programs best suited to the client’s needs and provides a door step service saving a lot of their time on commute.

The company provides a completely unique service and Nadia has the first mover advantage with her as well. After its commencement the company achieved more than half of its annual target in less than six months. Now Nadia aspires to take the company in areas besides Boston and cater to the clients in the New England and Grater Boston as well. In sync with her expansion strategy Nadia is in search of new trainers. Being a startup the company didn’t have a big advertising budget but with the quality of service provided springboards is gaining popularity. With her zest to succeed and her unique service by her side, Nadia will definitely make it to the cover of Time Magazine one day.