66°

In Memory of James Lim

UMass Boston student James Lim passed away on February 15, 2009. Born in 1985, Lim was 23 years old, a senior at the university, and a U.S. Army veteran.

Just before the dawn on Sunday, Lim was driving on Storrow Drive, heading eastbound, when his vehicle stuck a protective barrier near Clarendon Street. State troopers acknowledged that Lim was pronounced dead at the scene.

As a child, Lim was known to be adventurous-often going out to explore the world on his own. During one particular incident, Lim disappeared in a snowstorm, only to reappear to the relief of his family. Lim was simply playing with a neighborhood friend.

Lim was a son of a South Korean military veteran and grew to respect the military. His admiration led him to attend Valley Forge Military Academy & College in Pennsylvania.

Lim joined the National Guard in 2004, and became a commissioned office in 2006. When an ice storm struck Holden last December, Lim led his platoon in a relief effort.

With a full Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) scholarship, Lim then attended UMass Boston, where he majored in political science. He was expected to graduate in May.

Students will remember Lim best for his charismatic and outgoing personality. Lim was known to make friends with just about anyone.

“What can I say about James? He loved to socialize, hang out with friends, and just have fun like the next person,” said friend Dominique Powell. “But James possessed many good qualities that you may not find in many people. James was genuinely caring and compassionate. He would go through great lengths to make you comfortable, even if that meant he would be uncomfortable. Your comfort and happiness was all that mattered to him. He will be greatly missed, but always loved.”

Lim’s Funeral was held on Friday, February 20th at the Korean Catholic Community Church of Boston.