66°

Riding Shotgun

You see them everyday, but how well do you know them? Close your eyes and imagine UMB without its shuttle bus service. Students fighting the wind, trudging through knee deep snow twenty minutes late to class, and getting soaked by the speeding cars. Kind of makes you feel more appreciative, doesn’t it? Well, it’s time you got acquainted with the people who make your commute so much more bearable.

JoelWhat’s the rudest thing a student has ever said to you?“I had to tell a student that got on my bus that I am leaving now and to go to the next bus and she said ‘Why didn’t you fucking tell me that in the first place.’ You pretty much have to ignore them. When you get angry back that’s how you get in trouble.”

Do you have a message to the students?“You don’t want to piss the driver off, when people get upset anything can happen. Don’t treat the bus drivers like they’re dumb. I have a good education. I went to technical college but I have kids that I had to provide for so I left school and went to work. I had to make a choice. Not everyone can be a doctor or a lawyer, that’s life. But my work is honorable and I deserve respect.”NicoleWhat’s the rudest thing you’ve heard from a student?“Sometimes they don’t say very nice things, but it’s okay, it comes with the job.”

What’s the most outrageous you’ve seen happen on your bus?“Some drunk guy tried to pick a fight with a student and the student wasn’t having any of it. I had to stop and call campus police.”

Do you have a message to the students?“You can’t get dropped off anywhere besides the station or UMass. We understand that you may be running late or trying to catch a train but it’s illegal and dangerous.”Alfred (Bus Supervisor)What’s the most outrageous thing you’ve seen happen on the bus?“Drunks love to ride the bus all day long.”

How do you deal with people?“I just try to treat people the way I want to be treated. I give respect and I demand respect.”

Do you have a message to students?”Understand that weather and traffic effect the ride and we do our best. And don’t block the door.JoseWhat’s the funniest thing you see on the bus?“Sometimes I see kids chasing after the bus when it’s already full. Even if there are other people waiting they run after the bus.”

What are your hobbies?“Sports, the home teams, Celtics and the Patriots”PaulWhat do you think about your job?“Driving is fun for me. I can do it all day long and not get tired. And I like to talk to everybody.”

Cats or Dogs“I like dogs but I don’t have one because I don’t have room. I don’t like cats because they scare me.”

What’s your favorite TV show?“Oprah”

Jacob Aguiar served as the following positions for The Mass media the following years: News Editor: 2011-2012; Fall 2012 Leisure Editor: 2010-2011
Shira Kaminsky served as the following positions for The Mass Media the following years Editor-in-Chief: Spring 2012; 2012-2013 Managing Editor: Fall 2011 Arts Editor: Fall 2010