66°

We Heart UMB Cops

The Healey Library Circulation teams recently read the article in the Mass Media, dated November 10, 2009 and were extremely disappointed with some of the views expressed. Speaking on behalf of the library team, the Public Safety department has always been available with quick response times, have been extremely cooperative and above all, professional. This is a department responsible for the security of the entire campus including our neighbors in the JFK Library as well as the surrounding property. This is a big campus!? We live in a unique and diverse campus at UMass Boston. It is an open campus and as such, we witness and experience varied and sometimes questionable behaviors from our community, including our own students. The verbal abuse I have witnessed these officers take from patrons is amazing, however their actions and response is always professional. This is a department that deserves respect for all they do, keeping in mind that they do all this shorthanded. We can only hope that the state’s current budget problems get solved so that we can hire more of these highly trained professionals to continue their jobs and be able to do it adequately staffed and funded.? Thank you for all your hard work and we look forward to continuing our working relationship.??-The Healey Library Circulation team.