66°

Fall Into Fun

Picasa 2.0

Fall in New England is one of the only justifications for the horrendous and bleak winter that often follows. The leaves change into an inferno of pastoral beauty, the weather gets crisp, and opportunities for season-specific adventures abound. Here is just a sampling of some of our favorite spots to enjoy the season.By itself, corn is pretty awesome: You can eat it fresh, pop it, make syrup out of it, or make a pipe out of the cob. Our opinion however is that the best use for corn is to make a gigantic 8 acre maze out of it and then spend a gorgeous autumn afternoon trying to find our way from end to another. Luckily, the people at the Marini Farms Corn Maze agree and have constructed the largest maize maze in New England for your perusing pleasure. So what are you waiting for? Even if you get hopelessly lost you wont starve to death…(259 Linebrook Road, Ipswich, MA 01938; 978-356-0430)Jousting, juggling, wenches, magicians, and turkey legs as big as your head; Honestly, what is there not to like at annual Renaissance extravaganza King Richards Faire? Spread out over 80 acres of woods in scenic Carver, MA, the faire offers new sights, sounds and adventures with every trip. Be sure not to miss the slew of live shows, such as the unicycling/bagpipe/comedy stylings of Colin’s Quirky Show or the Tale of the Tiger show featuring Lord Ivory, the 10-month old white lion. If you get really lucky, he might go all Siegfried and Roy on his trainer for your viewing pleasure.(www.kingrichardsfaire.net; 508-866-5391)Located conveniently at the Forest Hills stop on the Orange Line, the Arnold Arboretum is a great way to enjoy the best that fall in New England has to offer without leaving the city limits. Strolling through this arboreal sanctuary and checking out the 15,467 plants that live here is a great way to escape the urban malaise and get the most out of the season, especially if you bring your own greenery…a satisfying salad for a picnic lunch, of course.(125 Arborway Boston, MA 02130-3500; 617-524-1718) The DeCordova Museum in Lincoln Mass is truly a hidden gem, combining the beauty of nature with a 35 acre sculpture park featuring Modern and contemporary American large scale sculptures from some of the leading artists in the field. If you’re not that in to art or obeying the law, it could also serve as the largest and most aesthetically pleasing jungle gym you’ve ever laid eyes on. If you get caught however, we don’t know you.(51 Sandy Pond Rd, Lincoln, MA; 781-259-8355)There is nothing more that defines autumn in this part of the country than a trip out to the country to pick your own apples, and with the Belkin Family Lookout farm only a short drive from Boston, you don’t really have an excuse not to. In addition to stocking up on a surplus of delicious apples, you can also enjoy a train ride around the farm, a top notch BBQ shack featuring fresh apple pastries and a hay pyramid. If that isn’t enough, they also have a petting zoo with goats, rabbits, and emus…Emus!(www.lookoutfarm.com; 508-653-0653)