66°

Transcendental Trash

The cast of “The Real Inspector Hound” stand together. Back Row

The Harbor Art Gallery opened its first student show of the semester last Thursday to rave reviews. Students, administrators, artists and their family members mingled at the opening, which showcased work from the Advanced Sculpture Workshop class.

Chancellor Motley stopped by to express his support.

“I’m so proud of the students in this show,” he said. “The kind of exhibition that you have here, it’s creative. It makes you think deeply about what’s art.”

The sculptures on display include a mask made out of beef jerky, an installation combining air ducts and pantyhose and a life-size rendering of the Virgin Mary. Professor Erik Levine, who teaches the class that created the show, called it a learning opportunity for his students.

“It’s important for them to learn what it’s like to mount an exhibition and to see how their work changes when it’s placed in close proximity to other works,” he said. “It’s important for them to finish something and take it to a place where it’s resolved.”

Steven Pirello, the curator of the gallery, was happy to host the show.

“I think it’s very important for UMB students who make work to have a venue to showcase their talents,” he said. “It is really rewarding for both the students involved and the gallery staff because we all learn from each other. I think that it is really important to approach each other and talk about what we are doing on this campus.”

The show will stay up until Friday, the 11th.

Shira Kaminsky served as the following positions for The Mass Media the following years Editor-in-Chief: Spring 2012; 2012-2013 Managing Editor: Fall 2011 Arts Editor: Fall 2010