66°

It’s Not Easy Being President

If you think there’s something special about UMB because our student body president allegedly smokes weed, and managed to get arrested for it, you’re wrong. Student body presidents get arrested quite often in this country. There is probably a student body president being arrested, somewhere, right this very minute. After all, student body presidents are just like you and me. They might be slightly more charismatic and possibly a little more resourceful, but they’re humans, too. The bottom line is that be it possession, resisting arrest, or public drunkenness, student body presidents know how to party.

Terral Ainooson, you’re not alone. Your fellow student body presidents have been getting arrested as far back as 1949. If it makes you feel any better, here are some examples of active student body presidents who got themselves in some hot water.

• In 2009, Grant Engrav, of the University of Harford in Connecticut, left a trail of broken glass leading from the campus chapel to the campus book store and decided it would be a good idea to use an officer’s flash light to beat a K9 over the head. He got arrested for Burglary, Assault On A Police Officer and Cruelty To Animals.

• James Poet, of San Diego State University, was arrested in 2008 for DUI and Marijuana Possession.

• Merrill Windsor of the University of Arizona was arrested in 1949 for the coolest thing the cops can get you for, “Unauthorized Use Of A Loudspeaker.”

• Nicholas Payne of the University of South Carolina was arrested in 2008 when police responded to a call about a bar fight. He ended up spending the night in jail for Public Drunkenness and Resisting Arrest.

• Kip Dallen of the University of Oregon was arrested on weapon charges in 1969.

• Kris Cuaresma-Primm, of the University of California in Berklee, was arrested in 2003 for Public Drunkenness, Possession Of An Open Container and Resisting Arrest.

• Marco Pena of the University of Central Florida was arrested for Disorderly Intoxication in 2009. When police attempted to arrest him, the silly goose responded with, “Do you know who I am? I’m the student body president!”

• Back in the 1994, Mass Media reported that Paul Free Levinsky, who was just a student senator, got arrested for smoking weed in Orlando, FL, where he was representing UMB in a national student government convention.

Shira Kaminsky served as the following positions for The Mass Media the following years Editor-in-Chief: Spring 2012; 2012-2013 Managing Editor: Fall 2011 Arts Editor: Fall 2010