66°

Crossing Kitchens

A popular dish for both Dominicans and Haitians involves a mere 3 ingredients and some common tactics. Called “banannann peze” in Creole and “tostones” in Spanish these crispy delights do not rest on plates for long and are served most often as a side dish while hot.

1. You first gather as many green plantains (also known as “bannann” and “platanos” depending on which side of the island one is from)that you think you can eat and times that by two, because they are that good, then slice them over an inch thick, and fry without crowding in a big pot of very hot oil (about 2 inches deep) until they turn a light golden yellow.

2. As they come out of the pot roll them on a plate of paper towels to absorb grease. One at a time, use a wooden spoon or your palm (if you are a masochist) to flatten them to about a centimeter thick.

3. Dip each in a bowl of salt water (think Caribbean sea kind of salty!) and immediately return to pot of oil. CAUTION: Oil will splatter! Use spoon to drop and a lid to block hot grease from getting you in the face…

4. Fry until they turn a crispy russet brown with yellow parts. Blot with fresh paper towels, salt to taste, and enjoy

Stephanie Fail served as the following positions for The Mass Media the following years Opinions Editor: 2009-2010 *Culture Shock Editor: Fall 2010 *The Culture section only lasted from 2010-2011, with Marcus Mersier taking over in Spring 2011.