66°

Why Brad Marchand Should Win the Hart This Season

Brad+Marchand
Brad Marchand

2017 has been an extremely surprising season for the Boston Bruins. An incredibly up and down season, but certainly a successful one so far for a club that many believed to not have a shot given the division they play in.
After a mid-season coaching change, the team took off. Since Cassidy took over for Boston, the Bruins have gone 12-6. Their success, however, is not only due to the coach, but also to how the players responded to the new voice in the locker room. No player exemplifies this response more so than Brad Marchand, and it is that spur in production that should gain him MVP consideration.
Marchand is coming off a 34-goal season last year, when the Bruins didn’t make the playoffs. It was no doubt his finest season to that point, and helped him earn a good contract with the Bruins when they signed him for an eight-year, $49-million contract. As many feared that Marchand would drop off after receiving such a hefty payday, those critics could not have been more wrong—he has turned in his finest season by far, becoming a top offensive threat in the NHL.
Marchand is currently battling Sidney Crosby for the league lead in goals, and both players are in a dead heat with Connor McDavid for the league lead in points. Brad currently sits at 37 goals and 43 assists for a total of 80 points, something no Bruin has reached since Marc Savard in the 2008-09 season with 88 points. Marchand’s current play has given the Bruins a scoring threat they have not had the benefit of since Tyler Seguin, but regarding point production probably not since Marc Savard or potentially even Joe Thornton.
Marchand’s electric play as of late does not appear to be a flash in the pan, or some kind of fluke. Last season, he scored 34 goals, which he followed up by being one of the stars for Team Canada, on route to scoring the gold medal goal to help his country win the World Cup of Hockey.
Now, Marchand’s importance certainly should not go unnoticed. While he certainly is in the hunt for both the Maurice “Rocket” Richard (most goals) and Art Ross (most points) trophies, his importance to his team should get him the Hart Trophy (MVP). The Bruins simply would not be in the position they are in if not for Marchand being able to dominate on offense, or scoring clutch goals whenever the team needs them.
This is not devaluing how important Connor McDavid was to the Oilers, or how impressive Sidney Crosby continues to be every season. I am simply saying that if you look at it as if you take each guy away from each of their current teams, the one that has the worst shot of making the playoffs is the Boston Bruins. That is why Brad Marchand should be the 2017 MVP.