66°

Dear Jack and Jade

DISCLAIMER:

Please note—We are not professionals. We are students looking to help fellow students in their time of need.

Submit questions to [email protected]. Submissions must be less than 200 words. All questions will be posted as anonymous unless specified otherwise.

Dear Jack and Jade,

I decided to do five courses this semester because I am a little behind credit wise and I want to graduate in time. Anyway, I decided to do five classes but now I am regretting that decision. I also work 30 hours a week at my off-campus job. I am stressed. I am not doing well in my classes and I think I am going to finish the semester with a bunch of Cs and Ds.

Sincerely,

Depressed

Dear Depressed,

I am sorry to hear this. For some people, doing five classes is already a lot but to add a 30-hour work week makes it even harder. It seems your primary focus is to graduate on time, and therefore you decided to take five classes.

Taking five classes per semester is not the only option for graduating on time, and if five classes is pushing it, you should consider taking summer or winter courses. These courses do not run as long as regular semester classes, but they are nonetheless doable. They are offered on campus and online. You should consider trying one of these to see if you would prefer doing summer and/or winter courses so you can graduate on time without doing five classes a semester.

You can always try one of these classes to see how it goes, and if you are not interested, you can always drop the class before the add/drop deadline.

Best,

Jade

Dear Jack and Jade,

My boyfriend found out about my girlfriend, and I do not know what to do. I do not want to lie to either of them but I also do not want to hurt them. How can I make this right?

Sincerely,

T

Dear T,

There is no easy way out of your situation. You said your boyfriend found out about your girlfriend? Are you seeing two people at once? If your boyfriend already knows that you are seeing someone else, I am not sure what you can do to hide this from him. At this point, maybe you want to consider coming clean to both your boyfriend and your girlfriend.

You said you do not want to hurt them. But how are you sure that hiding this will not hurt them more? If your boyfriend is suspicious of you or knows more than you’d like him to, it is just a matter of time before your girlfriend finds out.

Good luck,
Jade