66°

Film Review: “Logan”

Wolverine
Wolverine

For fans of the X-Men series, last Friday, March 3, presented a day of both excitement and sadness. Hugh Jackman has been starring as the iconic comic book character James Logan, a.k.a. Wolverine, since 2000. And the latest X-Men film, “Logan,” is the official last time fans will ever see Jackman as Wolverine. And my goodness, was the movie a fitting end to a timeless portrayal of one of the most beloved fictional characters of all time.

“Logan” gives us one of the most emotional plots in the history of the superhero genre. With an aging Logan now finally starting to face his own mortality, he is both burdened by his past and relieved by his approaching death.

We also see Sir Patrick Stewart portraying Professor Charles Xavier for the final time, and his depiction is equally emotional. Xavier is more aged and decrepit than usual, and it’s truly haunting to see the character who gave so much to mutant kind reduced to what he is. The world the characters exist in really paints the perfect picture of the struggle Logan always knew he would one day face—having no one and nothing left to live for.

“Logan” also introduces the character Laura, a.k.a. X-23. She is a younger version of Logan, and like him in many ways. The audience gets to watch her and Logan grow together throughout the film, and it is truly beautiful to see; almost as if we the audience are seeing James Logan come full circle in his life.

In tone, the movie is pitch perfect for the character of Wolverine. Giving off an almost Western vibe, it fits the persona of Logan being the sheriff in town. Wolverine is on his own, and needs nobody. However, he always has the instinct to defend those in need, even if he tries to deny it. He will not let those he loves get hurt, and throughout the film, he finds a way to love again, probably deeper than he ever had before.

The music fits the graphic nature of the film. Marco Beltrami finds a way to create suspenseful, sad, and intense music to match the events transpiring on screen. Sometimes, the music can tell the story; Beltrami takes advantage of this, using music during the times when no dialogue is necessary to explain the emotion felt by the characters.

In the comic books, Wolverine has always been incredibly violent. This film takes moviegoers into the pages of a comic like “Old Man Logan” in a way none of the other films in the X-Men series have before. It was important that this element that fans loved about the character was captured on screen. This certainly gave the audience what they wanted.

Overall, “Logan” is without question the most emotional and heartfelt film the superhero genre has ever seen. The emotion that I felt was beyond anything I ever had while watching any other comic book movie. “Logan” goes beyond just being a great comic book movie; it is just a great film in general. On par with Christopher Nolan’s “Dark Knight,” “Logan” delivers a smart and gritty plot, with emotional and genuine acting.
This film will go down as a benchmark for the genre, as audiences say goodbye to a landmark portrayal that has, and forever will, stand the test of time.