66°

‘Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 2’: A Blast

May 5 marked the release of Marvel Studios’ 15th film in their ongoing cinematic universe, with “Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2.” After the first Guardians film was released in 2014 to high praise from critics and fans alike, excitement was exceptionally high for the sequel of Marvel’s lovable space outcasts. As we inch ever closer to the release of “Avengers: Infinity War” in 2018, this latest MCU release gives fans a look at the cosmic world that Earth’s mightiest heroes are soon to be thrust into once The Mad Titan Thanos makes his presence felt.
“Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2” was similar in tone to it’s predecessor. Extremely simplistic in its approach, but driven by fantastic characters and how they interact with one another. The plot of the movie had much to do with Peter Quill and his origins, as he meets his father and understands why he was brought to space in the first place. The plot is enjoyable; not quite as fast paced and non-stop fun as the first film, but it provides a fun start and an incredible third act.
The visuals, much like in the first film, are utterly stunning. Beautiful images of other worldly landscapes and futuristic technology. As the Guardians travel throughout the universe, the film gives Marvel fans a look at famous races of aliens and beings from the comics. The movie is jam packed with nods to the comics and little Easter eggs that Marvel fans will just love.
The movie was, like most MCU films, exceptionally well cast. With Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, and Michael Rooker all reprising their roles, in addition to big name actors like Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone coming into the fold. The movie was stolen by a terrific performance from Bradley Cooper as the voice of Rocket Raccoon. As we continue to see the arc of his character, we once again fall in love with a CGI animal that struggles with the fact that he is the result of scientific experimentation. The empathy that is invoked by the character is truly remarkable, and something that should be viewed as one of the best arcs in all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The music was also very fun in this movie. It has that grandeur to it that is present throughout the rest of the MCU, but with a more futuristic twist to it. Then there is the soundtrack. One of the best aspects of the first guardians film was its collection of music, mostly big hits of the 1970s. Guardians of The Galaxy gave us some good music, but not quite as many great tunes as the first film. Although one of the songs did become an important plot point, something the first film was unable to do with any song.
Overall, “Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2” was a very enjoyable film. Its plot was slow at times, but the comic book feel to the film really was a treat to see on screen. The film develops each character even further, so be sure to pay attention to the challenges each character must face, either externally or within themselves. Ultimately this film wasn’t quite as good as its predecessor, but it is still a blast in its own right.  Definitely take a trip to the theater to see this one, and be sure to stay for all five post-credits scenes!