66°

Will Isaiah Thomas be the Next MVP?

Basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world, with world-renowned teams like the Boston Celtics, LA Lakers, and Miami Heat, and famous players like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James. However, in a league that lacks surprise or parity, many fans believe that the overall product of the NBA has become boring. Typically, the same teams compete for the same titles year in and year out, and the same can be said for the players that compete for the MVP award.

However, a five-foot nine-inch point guard in Boston looks to add some surprise to the NBA as he continues to make his case as the league’s most valuable player.

Isaiah Thomas of the Boston Celtics wasn’t expected to do much when he entered the NBA in 2011 and was dubbed “Mr. Irrelevant” after being taken last overall in that years draft. He was drafted by the Sacramento Kings, but would never be viewed as a big commodity. He would eventually be traded to the Phoenix Suns, who in 2015 traded him to Boston. Thomas quickly established himself as a premier player for the Celtics, and fans fell in love with him just for that reason.

Fast forward to today, when Thomas is an All-Star in the Eastern Conference. So far this season, he is second in the NBA in points per game, behind Russell Westbrook. Now, while Thomas doesn’t lead the NBA in any categories, it’s his importance to the Celtics as a team that has him in MVP consideration. Thomas continues to hit big shots for Boston, and seems to be able to score as many points necessary to get his team the win. It’s that clutch play and will to win that has thrust Boston into contention for the top seed in the Eastern Conference, behind a Cleveland team that consists of Lebron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love.

On the other side of the MVP race, Thomas faces stiff competition. Westbrook is averaging a triple double on the season, and the only other man to ever finish a season averaging a triple double is Oscar Robertson. Next to Westbrook is James Harden, who is averaging 28.9 points, 8.2 rebounds, and 11.4 assists on the season. He has essentially carried the Houston Rockets to where the are, which is at third in the Western Conference. Then of course, there are always the usual MVP favorites like the previously-mentioned James, as well as Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant.  Those three could always sneak in with dominant performances to end the season to boost their already impressive numbers.

Thomas certainly hasn’t locked up the MVP award, but he represents a little bit of a surprise. Typically fans are able to call who will win the NBA title, or who will win an MVP. Even with his terrific season last year, very few would have expected Thomas to duplicate that level of play, let alone improve on it and garner legitimate MVP consideration. Yet Thomas is on a mission to prove himself as a legitimate NBA star, and he is certainly succeeding on that mission so far.
Thomas will continue to make his case for MVP, but we will have to wait and see if the voters can distance themselves from just stats and the usual MVP winners. The NBA could use something different to break the norm, and a guy who was drafted last overall winning MVP is certainly different.