63°

MA Leaders Stand For Transgender Rights

Gender Neutral Bathroom
Gender Neutral Bathroom

In one of his most recent actions of the White House, the Trump administration rolled back federal government support regarding legislation that is intended to protect transgender students using bathrooms at public school.

While President Donald Trump has vowed during his months of campaigning before the elections last November that he will fight for the rights of transgender people, he has remained quiet over this issue since taking office in January. Now, his administration has taken a step back and announced that it will be up to the individual states to make the decision regarding transgender students using public school bathroom.

Nationwide, this move by the administration has sparked outrage among transgender communities and its supporters. The guidelines were initially introduced during the Obama presidency, and for the first time officially granted the federal right for transgender students to freely choose the bathroom that matches their gender identity.

Influential policy-makers and representative have spoken out against this rollback, and assured their continued support for transgender rights. These policy-makers include various representatives of Massachusetts.

During a press conference on Feb. 23, MA Governor Charlie Baker said that he was “disappointed with the decision that the administration made.” Baker also added, “Thankfully, here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, we’ve had in place standing administrative guidance” that ensure the protection of transgender students. Therefore, the Governor assured the audience, “here in Massachusetts, kids are going to be protected. Kids are going to be able to feel safe and secure in the communities and they live in and the schools that they go to.”

Furthermore, MA Attorney General Maura Healey condemned the Trump administration’s policy and said on Twitter that “Every student deserves to be treated equally in our schools. Trump is sending a message that discrimination is acceptable.” Furthermore, she emphasized her office’s continued support for transgender right, saying that, “We remain committed to ensuring that transgender students and families are treated with fairness and dignity.”

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh took to Twitter and stated, “The White House’s reckless actions last night undermine the promise of civil rights and equal protection for all in this country. Revoking the clarified protections for transgender students sends a message that they are not worthy of this promise. The City of Boston will continue to step up & protect our students from discrimination & always be an inclusive city.”

US Senator Elizabeth Warren, who has been an outspoken opposer of many of the new policies introduced under the new presidency, called on the Trump administration to “protect and defend the basic civil and human rights of all our students, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.”

The Superintendent of Boston Public Schools, Tommy Chang, announced that the city’s public education facilities will stand with transgender students, stating “We do not and will never discriminate based on gender identity. MA law is clear about this.” Chang furthermore emphasized that even though the federal stance on the issue might have changed, the state will still protect transgender people.
“As clear as our youth are with their pronouns,” he stated, “let me be clear that withdrawal of federal guidance does not change Boston Public Schools’ policies.”