66°

Jack & Jade

Dear Jack and Jade,

I’m trying to lose weight for a banquet I have to attend in the spring. If you haven’t already guessed yet, my senses are sharp. I can smell food from a mile away and I’ll instantly get hungry. I’ve tried going on an all-vegetable diet for a week, but I felt like I was starving myself and immediately quit. I also tried fasting for a week, living off tea, water, and smoothies. But I felt very faint each day when I woke up. So, of course, that didn’t work either. I mean, I’m not huge, but I’m not trying to be a whale by the time the banquet comes around. I have this amazing dress that I bought and I’m really trying to fit into it. Any advice?

Sincerely,

Gertrude Jenkins

Dear Gertrude,

I totally understand your frustration. Diets are one of the hardest paths to go on because one is giving up the foods they love. According to Doctor Mark Hyman, the average person gains 11 pounds for every diet they go on. He goes on to state that there are various reasons why diets fail, including people believing that cutting out calories is the best way to use one’s willpower instead of looking at science. People don’t realize that starving their bodies will only cause hunger. In return, one will begin to think about that Mickey D’s double cheeseburger they had a month ago, and let’s not forget the bowl of chicken wings you had at Thanksgiving. It will all start coming back: the urges and the bad habits. Hyman thankfully provides a few solutions for losing weight:

1) Try an elimination diet where you get rid of inflammatory foods, instead of altogether starving yourself.

2) Try eating a low-starch diet

3) Reduce exposure to environmental and common chemicals. Detoxing your body will help you set progressive goals in your diet.

In my opinion, get rid of all the bad foods in your house. Yes girl: the chips, soda, candy, ice cream—IT’S GOTTA GO! Then research healthy foods to buy, such as quinoa, fruits and vegetables, and lean meat. And don’t forget to exercise daily for at least an hour. Eating healthy alone won’t allow you to lose weight. You could even get a buddy to go on the diet with you for motivation. I know it’s going to be hard, but you need to believe in yourself. You can do it. You can do anything you set your mind to. Don’t let me down!

Best of Wishes

Jack and Jade

Dear Jack and Jade,

I met this guy that I really like, and we recently began dating. He’s sweet, kind, and treats me like a queen. We went on a couple of dates and so far, I love being around him. God literally dropped him out of the sky for me and I am very happy he did. However, last week, he invited me to his apartment to watch a movie. I knew he was a decent guy, so he wouldn’t try anything funny. Plus, he knows I would pop a cap in his behind. But anyways, when I walked into his apartment, I almost died: there were clothes thrown everywhere in his room, dishes piled high in the sink, and the trashcan was overflowing. Don’t even get me started on the bathroom—he had the nerve to leave the toilet seat up knowing damn well I was coming over. I couldn’t believe my eyes! The only partially clean place was the living room but there were video games and Chinese food boxes on the floor. He had a small chihuahua, and even it looked sorry for me. Believe me when I tell you that the guy dresses suave, smells good, and carries himself well when he is outside. So I don’t understand how his home is a hot mess! It smelled like Spam and sadness. I didn’t want to be rude so I stayed, but it was a major turn off for me. I don’t want to break up with him, but I can’t be with someone who is untidy. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Phat Ho

Dear Phat,

I am happy that you’re in a relationship. I’m sorry, however, that your boyfriend would take you on a date to his filthy home. It just doesn’t make sense based on how you described his personality! The best thing for you to do is tell him how you feel. Just say outright, “I love you, but your home is filthy.” I know it may come off as harsh, but it’s for his own benefit. You could even offer to help him clean one weekend and show him how to be neat, if you truly care about him. That’s what relationships are all about: helping one another. I hope you stay with him since he makes you happy. Give him a chance to change before you end this beautiful relationship.

Sincerely,

Jack and Jade

Dear Jack and Jade.

My friend borrowed $5 from me two weeks ago. She told me she would give it back the next day, but nope—nothing. Since I am a kind and sweet Christian, I decided to give her a week, for I know things can happen in life. At the end of the week, still no money. I messaged her and she said she forgot; that she will give it to me the next day. And here we are, a week later. I’m still down $5. I mean damn, that’s my girl. I thought I could trust her and count on her promises, but I guess not. I don’t want to be that person who starts a whole argument over money, but I worked hard for that $5. That’s a whole 20 quarters down the drain. I refuse to accept that. I believe people should honor their word. If she needed more time, she could have asked me. Then she had the nerve to be like, “It’s only $5 I’ll give it back to you when I can.” I was really about to snatch her wig off, but I kept my cool. My friend also knows I’m petty to the max and will bring up the money in every conversation we have until I get it back. How should I handle this situation delicately? This is my good friend so I don’t want us to fight.

Sincerely,

LaPorsha Chitling

Dear LaPorsha,

This is the very reason why I don’t lend friends money. Situations such as this tend to arise. If I give money to my friends, I just tell them to keep it. I only do this to my close friends whom I know will also help me out if I am ever in need. Money is the root of all problems. Trust me when I say that. However, I do advise you to be the bigger person in this situation and explain to your friend how you are hurt since she didn’t keep her word. You could even forgive her of her debt, seeing as how she obviously can’t afford to pay you back. But in the future, don’t lend her any more money since she evidently isn’t trustworthy. You can still be friends with her, just be wise.

Sincerely,

Jake and Jade