66°

An Interview with the New Men’s Hockey Assistant Coach

With hockey season alive and well in Boston, the hub of hockey, there comes questions of expectations and what pundits would like to see in their favorite teams. One of the responsibilities of a coach is answering the questions the media presents as it applies to the job and the team.

On Oct. 16, I was lucky enough to talk to the newest hire for the men’s hockey program coaching staff at the University of Massachusetts Boston: Assistant Coach Cory Schneider. He comes to campus with a short but very recently experienced background working in Division III hockey. He worked for two years at the same assistant position at Wentworth Institute of Technology. Before that, he enjoyed a playing career that included four collegiate seasons at The Ohio State University where he received All-Big Ten academic honors on three occasions. He also played one season at the professional level with the East Coast Hockey League’s Fort Wayne Komets and Cincinnati Cyclones, as well as the Central Hockey League’s Fort Worth Brahmas. I asked this newest member of the UMass Boston hockey family about his views on the sport at the Division III level, the culture of the game itself in Boston, and what he likes about the Beacons program this season.

What was the main draw that got you to come here?

The opportunity to join a great program and learn from an established, accomplished coach like Coach Belisle was an opportunity that I could not pass up.

I noticed you played in college at The Ohio State University. What do you see in the differences as far as culture goes in the hockey scene between the Buckeye State and Massachusetts, particularly the youth, junior/HS, and college scenes?

I really enjoyed my time in Columbus, OH, and hockey is growing there at a rapid rate thanks in part to the Columbus Blue Jackets and the program at Ohio State. Boston is obviously a great hockey city for both professional hockey (home of an original 6 team) and college hockey (home of The Beanpot, and several Division III programs).

Which Beacon player has you most excited for this season?

Definitely excited about all of players, but one in particular is our senior captain Colin Larkin. He was an All-American last year and is a really special player. We are really excited for him going into his final season with the Beacons.

Of the opponents on this year’s schedule, who will you look forward to facing to the most, other than Wentworth?

I’m really looking forward to getting into conference play. I think their conference is going to be really strong this year and there are no easy games on the schedule. Every game is going to be a challenge and we are going to need to be at our best.

What ambitions do you hold for this program as far as your role goes as it aims to be a regular title contender in the New England Hockey Conference?

I hope to help each player develop both on and off the ice and that we can be successful academically, in the community, and on the rink.

So there you have it. As far as opinions go, I do like everything he said, especially about what his expectations are for the program, what he’s excited about on the roster, and what he wants the players to be on and off the ice. It proves that Coach Belisle made an excellent hire here, and Schneider will do just as great of a job as Jerry Keefe (current Northeastern assistant) and Sean Walsh (now Southern New Hampshire University’s head coach), among other names, did during their stints as UMass Boston assistants in the Belisle era. We wish the best for you and your contributions to the program, Cory!