66°

NFL Season Predictions

NFL Season Predictions

AFC East
Patriots   11-5
Bills         6-10
Dolphins  6-10
Jets         3-13
We cannot debate the hold the Patriots have had on this division. Many argue that the weak teams in the division are what contribute to the Patriots’ typical high playoff seeding. While true, the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins have challenged the Patriots in previous season, but fail to create constant success to escape their long standing mediocre performances. The Dolphins were set to be a team worth watching, but a season ending injury to Ryan Tannerhill derailed this expectation. The Patriots will certainly capture a ninth straight divisional title and a favorable playoff seeding.
AFC North
Steelers  12-4
Ravens    9-7
Bengals   7-9
Browns    3-13
This is another division that looks to be one-sided. The Steelers and Ravens tend to have a legitimate race in the early onset of the season, but the Steelers continue to pile on wins, while the Ravens fade into a wildcard battle at best. The Bengals will try to spoil their rivals playoff hopes, but I don’t think they have enough talent to hope for the playoff themselves. At the bottom of the division, the Browns will add another chapter to their everlasting rebuilding project.
AFC South
Jaguars  7-9
Texans   6-10
Colts      6-10
Titans     5-11
Without a doubt, the AFC South is the least competitive divisional the NFL. I don’t anticipate any team mustering a winning season. The division title will go to the team with the closest record to five hundred. The slight edge goes to the Jaguars, who added Tom Coughlin to an executive position and have the only veteran quarterback in Blake Bortles. After striking out with Brock Osweiler, the Texans prayed that Tom Savage was their solution at quarterback. Thirty minutes into the season, the Texans resorted to rookie Deshaun Watson, creating uncertainty at their quarterback position again. The Colts and Titans will only go as far as Andrew Luck and Marcus Mariota can carry them, which won’t be very far this season.
AFC West
Chiefs      12-4
Raiders    11-5
Broncos   10-6
Chargers  5-11
From the weakest division in the NFL, we go to the strongest division. The AFC West may have three team in the playoffs, with the division champions being serious Super Bowl contenders. The Chiefs show their depth in week one against the Patriots. Although, the Patriots were not at their best, Chiefs will likely repeat that explosive offensive prowess throughout the season. Last Season, Raiders were excellent and could have battled the Patriots for Super Bowl spot, if Derek Carr was not sidelined by an injury. The team returns with a healthy Carr and dynamic receiving corp ready to replicate last season’s success. The addition of Marshawn Lynch gives the Raiders a reliable running game, making them one of the most intriguing teams this year. The Chargers are a decent team, but they are the odd one out in a very tough division.

NFC East
Cowboys   10-6
Eagles       9-7
Giants        9-7
Redskins    5-11
The Cowboys will be a good team this season, but they won’t have a stellar record. They have a relatively hard schedule with games against opponents like the Falcons, Seahawks, and Raiders. In addition, their divisional opponents will not be easy wins. However, if the Cowboys make it out the NFC East, will be one of the most tested teams heading into the playoffs. The Eagles and Giants are on the same plane, where they are not good enough to contend for a title, but are decent enough to make the playoffs. On the other hand, the Redskins are going to be struggling to get wins. Their commitment to Kirk Cousin looks to have failed them, and along losing key players, they will not rebound this season.
NFC North

Packers  10-6
Lions       9-7
Vikings    8-8
Bears      3-13
It will be business as usual for the Packers. They have all the major pieces that got them to the NFC championship game, and with Aaron Rodgers showing no signs of slowing down, the Packers will warrant Super Bowl consideration. The Lions made Matthew Stafford the highest-paid player in league history. Hopefully, this is not a repeat of the Bears and Jay Cutler disaster. Stafford is a promising talent, but the Lions are not yet equipped to make the leap to the next level. The Vikings might miss Adrian Peterson’s running game, but Latavius Murray and Dalvin Cook will provide a decent running game. Sam Bradford should be at least capable of keeping the Vikings around a five hundred record, specially with the aid of a good defense. After ending their marriage to Jay Cutler, the Bears will have to search hard for proficient replacement. If Glennon does not produce good performances early, the Bears thrust the ball into Mitch Trubisky’s hand, which will be as good as waving the white flag. 

NFC South

Falcons   12-4
Panthers  9-7
Saints       8-8
Bucs         7-9
The Falcon will go into this season looking to get back to the Super Bowl stage. They are a championship-ready team and anything short of a Lombardi Trophy will be a disappointment. The Panthers and Saints will rely on strong, consistent offenses to keep their seasons afloat. They will be respectable teams, but attaining a wild card spot will be a success. The Bucs will hope that Jameis Winston does not suffer a sophomore slump, and continues to grow, but the team overall will likely have a mediocre season.

NFC West

Seahawks  9-7
Cardinals   8-8
Rams         5-11
49ers         2-14
The Seahawks will not find wins easy to come by this season, but should get enough to win a non-comparative NFC West. Their defense will be good and as should their home field advantage. These factors will be enough to make the difference to grab a playoff spot. The Cardinals were dealt a major blow, as David Johnson suffered a week one injured. Johnson will be out for two to three months, which means four to six games without an elite offensive player. This will result in the Cardinals missing out on some wins and finish the season wondering what could have been. Jared Goff will be looking to prove that he was worth the gamble the Rams took on him, while Todd Gurley will hope to bounce back from a forgettable 2016 season. These young players might improve, but the Rams will only get wins because there is a handful of team in an even worst state. One such team is the Niners. I found it hard to see where the Niners might wins this season, but playing the Bears might help them avoid a winless season.