66°

Reflections on Student Club Recruitment

The topic of recruitment gets particular attention at the beginning of each school year. Virtually every fraternity, student organization, or club on campus is trying to recruit new students in hopes of increasing their membership numbers. Thousands of fliers are distributed around campuses nationwide and “tabling” gets to be a part of the routine, just like brushing teeth, for many students.
The recruitment process becomes even more challenging for organizations when they are in their launching phase. Not only do these “baby” clubs have to establish a strong leadership board, but they also have to work on “new-club-awareness,” making themselves known to the whole school community.
To be successful with recruitment on campus requires a bit of tact. Today’s young professionals and Millennials require a little extra attention to get them “on board.” I know that from experience—believe me. Starting a club on campus taught me a lot about team building. Here are some tactics that I have found successful when recruiting students on campus.
1. Transparency
Being open with potential club members is crucial. This includes their duties and responsibilities as members, time commitments, schedules, and expectations, which must be communicated clearly right from the start, even before they join. There should be no surprises once the student has officially signed up. Time commitment is a big topic and communicating it right from the start will save both you and the potential club member energy and resources.
2. Focus on the outcome
The value of the membership offer is better appreciated by the prospective member when the outcome and results of are clearly outlined. When students know exactly what they are going to get out of the experience, everyone wins. If it’s an online publication, the students may want to know the number of articles they can submit and the average number of page views. When presenting the potential results, try to be real. Embellishing your story might win over a new member, but it might not keep that person around for too long.
3. Follow-up
Initiating contact with potential members is the first part of the recruitment process. The subsequent follow-up will always do the trick. It will offer some clarity as to whether it is a yea or nay, on the potential member’s part, when it comes to joining the team or taking on new roles and responsibilities.
4. Genuine enthusiasm
The key to winning someone over is to show them your true interest and excitement about the subject of your organization. Most likely, students want to join if they see you light up while talking about the club, including the fun activities they can be a part of by signing up.
5. Continuous support and assistance
Having a new member join a team is an accomplishment. Making them feel like a part of the community is the final step. By being personable and providing assistance and support when needed, you establish new friendships that last way beyond your college years.