66°

Cecilie Suggests…

As the days are growing warmer and the sun is shining longer, spring apparel is hitting the stores. While this translates into light jackets, flats without socks, and abandoning our mittens, it also means that winter clothing and shoes are having serious sales! Stores are clearing out the cold weather merchandise to bring in the new, fun colored items for warm weather.  In a effort to get rid of what is left from this winter season, customers can get ready for dramatic price drops. Now is the time to buy those killer leather boots you have been eyeing since last October but were too hesitant to buy. It is time to buy that awesome knee-length wool coat you love but don’t necessarily need. With a whopping 50-80% off regular prices, these are deals you won’t be able to pass up. The beauty in high quality items go beyond aesthetics. Boots and bags with high workmanship and durable materials are essentially an investment; they last forever and usually grow more comfortable and fashionable over the years as you break them in. Every wardrobe should include a few essential items: a pair of sturdy yet fashionable boots, a warm yet classy wool coat, a strong good-sized handbag, and of course, a little black dress! (Though my personal preference is leather for bags and boots, there are plenty of animal friendly options such as high quality man-made materials. They last for a long time and usually cost slightly less than the leather alternative.) These items are versatile, used often, last forever, and are super cute… Now is the time to purchase them!One of my favorite places to shop clearance is at Macy’s. They have a great selection- I am always happy with the quality of items I purchase there. Macy’s stores are usually pretty neat and the sale prices are also incredible (plus you can usually find coupons for an extra 15% off or use you Macy’s charge for additional percentage off). Lord & Taylor, though a little more expensive than Macy’s, also has great sales. They have many of the same products as Macy’s and also others that are a bit more high-end. Lord & Taylor is an awesome place to shop for coats and dresses. Marshalls and TJMaxx are also great places to look for shoes and coats. Although the selection may not be very extensive, you can snag some great deals and steals. Be patient! These stores are often hit or miss, but don’t give up on them if you go once and find nothing, just try again later. With the current economic crisis, stores are getting hit hard. Distributors are left with no choice but to sell items to the TJMaxx stores that may be in other department stores at the same time. I bought a pair of boots at Dillard’s (a department store in FL which is a step above Macy’s and one below Nordstrom’s) a month ago and saw the same exact Steve Madden leather cowboy boots at Marshalls for half the price two weeks later!Finding a great handbag can be difficult.  In order to get a good one, I think there are a few basic rules of thumb to follow.  It is important to purchase a strong bag made of durable material; you need to be sure your bag won’t fall apart after a few weeks of use.  You know yourself like no other- be realistic about the size you really need and a color that will go with your wardrobe.  Sometimes we think we’ll be able to manage the purse that is smaller than we normally go for, or in a crazy color that you like but know only goes with two things you own.  Keep in mind what this bag will be used for.  Is it to take on the train to work or school every day and will carry your wallet, lunch, makeup, books?  Is it to run errands and stuff with your bills, wallet, and juice-boxes for the kids?  Size does matter in this case.  Stay in style; don’t jump on the hip “at the moment” passing fads.  You want a bag that’ll last a few years and still be in.  Neutral colors are always a safe and classy choice.  (All of the stores mentioned above are great places to check for an awesome bag.)Ultimately, in all of your purchases, you want to make sure your items go with everything.  You’re going to spend some money on them, perhaps more than you normally do.  The goal however, is to buy things that will last you years instead of having to replace them every few months.  The trade-off of spending a bit more but just one time will probably end up being cheaper than spending a bit here and there.  Need I say more?  This is the perfect (and almost guilt-free) excuse to go shop!