63°

Arts of the Week: The Mass Media Staff Share Their Picks

Book of the WeekFight Club by Chuck PalahniukIf Tyler Durden heard about September 11 I don’t think he would be laughing…or even surprised.  As the main character of a fourteen year old book, Tyler Durden was anarchy personified.  Angry about modern man’s devitalization—where the closest we get to hunting is peeling off some plastic, he creates an army of modern warriors who blow-up the financial structure of an entire city, wiping all bank accounts and creating true resource equality.  This book is savagely unsentimental in its treatment of a status quo that results in a population of people who don’t appreciate being alive.  A must read for anyone who has ever thought about a world without rules or money. Its quick tempo will keep you enthralled even if you are not a big reader.  If you appreciated the depth of the movie version, this potent book will have you challenging your own mediocrity in no time.Movie of the WeekBeverly Hills Ninja“It sounds to me you are being lad around by your short sword,” says the Sensei to the Great White Ninja. This gem of knowledge is but one small lesson of many you will learn from watching Beverly Hills Ninja, a Chris Farley classic. A true nineties comedy, this movie delivers laughs after repeat views, and in fact, it may become even funnier. A story of one man’s journey to fit in, despite being the social outcast of his ninja clan, to find love on the tough streets of the “Hills of Beverly.” A young Chris Rock has a hilarious turn as the side kick, eager to learn the ways of the Ninja, and the plot line is just predictable enough. This is the perfect two hour escape from the stress of the semester.  Album of the WeekBroken Social Scene by Broken Social SceneThis week’s album is the self-titled Broken Social Scene, a rare example of  a heavily produced record sounding instinctive and spontaneous. The Canadian Indie rock band is made up of six to as many as nineteen members. The 14-song set of Broken Social Scene is bright, moving, and holds more charisma and depth than previous efforts. It’s not so much a series of songs but a musical mood that is a multifaceted, densely layered sound. With their diverse combination of respective musical projects, the band that refuses the super-group label, has created an unambiguous shot of serotonin straight to your head and heart.Artist of the WeekHoli – KrishnaIt’s that time of year again: the Festival of Colors. It may be dubious to name a deity as an artistic genius, but celebrating Krishna in early spring certainly leads to some alluring displays. In India the first full moon of March sets off an elegant and exciting show of youth and vibrancy. People shower each other with the shades of spring in both liquid and powder form, creating a mesmerizing chaos of color. Holi welcomes springtime and celebrates Krishna, making celebrants childlike and beautiful. It is a exhibit of warmth and connection, and an illustration of the essence of art.