66°

Old Dog Learns New Tricks

Old+Dog+Learns+New+Tricks+
Old Dog Learns New Tricks

Computer Generated Imaging (CGI) has taken away a lot of the awe and mystery that cinematographers once struggled to capture. Original shooting techniques are limited as shots are now refined in digital post-production. The raw imaging once captured by film has been redefined and re-invented by high tech computer programs that consist multi-functional components and are capable of making a viewers jaw drop.   Although technology has taken over movie production CGI is not be the “meat” of a movie but rather an important component to enhance a film. In 1993’s ”Jurassic Park”, Stephen Spielberg’sn engaging, quite realistic and frightening movie about a dinosaur park that comes to life, the director showed the technology of CGI at its best. Spielberg knew what he was doing in creating a previously unseen world, the full effect of which could only have been made possible through CGI. He created a sense of wonder and amazement that reflected the awe protagonist Allan Grant was experiencing. ”Transformers” is another movie that has effectively used CGI.   ”Shutter Island”, Martin Scorcese’s most recent picture, is a film that depicts depth, pain, mystery, and such beauty that it taps into the deepest well of the soul.  It fills the heart with pure, unfiltered sadness, wonder, love, and sorrow. This can best be exemplified in a scene that be explained in no other way thanh just pure cinema at its best. Moreover, the scene is perhaps the most beautiful use of CGI ever put to film.   In a dream sequence that Leonardo DiCaprio’s character experiences, he envisions his dead wife standing before him and is overcome with emotion and the crushing reminder that he will never see her again but in his dreams. In their apartment that burned down during an act of arson, ashes fall like snow from the ceiling. DiCaprio embraces his wife with the tenderness of want – a want for a new reality, this dream world where she still exists and never had to pass away. Fire erupts, surrounding, engulfing, but not touching the two people. A river of blood runs from her belly. Why? Was she pregnant when she died? Finally, her body, like a cigarette, burns out and sheds ashes to the ground, leaving DiCaprio alone to wake up from this closest piece of heaven to his reality of hell.   ”Shutter Island” is a well-directed thriller and Scorcese does his best to imitate B-movies, film noir influences, and David Lynch like surrealism. The picture shouts atmosphere that may be like a more cohesive »Mullholland Drive”. The plot also does a good job at keeping you guessing as the reality of the world is carefully manipulated. This film is a decent example of a popcorn-thriller, but is also a must see for fans of art-cinema, or anyone else who has a penchant for  interesting uses of special effects that are utilized by CGI.