63°

Good Things Come to Those Who Work for It

The Mass Media serves as many things: The UMass Boston campus’ eyes and ears. A voice for the student community. A great read. And, as former Mass Media sport’s editor Ryan Thomas found out, a stepping stone to future opportunities.

Just recently Thomas landed himself a Public Relations internship with the MLB’s Tampa Bay Devil Rays. A dream come true for any sports-minded writer.

“I don’t know what to expect or where it’s going to take me,” Thomas said. “But I think that’s the best part. I’m going to be working 13 hours a day with an MLB team. When the season’s over, I have no idea what’s next for me. So I’m just going to ride this wave and let it beach me whereever it sees fit. It’s going to be an amazing experience.”

Over his years here at the Mass Media, Thomas’ work has reflected the utmost dedication toward his craft. Whether it was as clear as day or a needle in the haystack, if there was a story to be found, Thomas would find it. He provided an excellent example for his writers to follow.

Although primed for better things, Thomas still misses some facets of his former gig.

“I miss writing about the men’s hockey team and interviewing Pete Belisle every week,” he said. “He was always a great interview and his teams worked very hard. I also miss writing those long feature stories that took weeks to write. Good times.”

With previous stints at the Boston Globe and the Mass Media, Thomas should be well prepared for whatever lies ahead in the next coming months. The Mass Media wishes Thomas all the best in this opportunity of a lifetime.

Sebastian Lena served as the sports editor for The Mass Media the following years: 2009-2010 Lena also served as business manager Fall 2011