66°

More than Just a Basketball Coach

More than Just a Basketball Coach

For the students on campus, Mr. Titus is known for one of two things. He is known as either the men’s basketball coach or he is known as the Athletic Director. Either way, when the name Titus comes up, sports is the first thing that comes to mind. However, after spending twenty minutes with Coach Titus, you quickly learn that he is more than that. You realize that basketball is a passion for him with a candle that will never burn out. You realize how much he has actually accomplished off the court that what has happened on the court becomes irrelevant or simply an added bonus.Coach Titus has been the coach of the Beacons for 35 years now. It would have been all thirty-seven years of the program had it not been for two one year hiatuses. He was the founder of the UMass men’s basketball team, taking them from a club team in 1974 to turning them into one of the most respected and well rounded group of men to ever lace it up on the hardware. After all of this time on the court and with 300 wins in the bag, does Coach Titus still have the desire to coach? Is the will still there? As Titus told the MassMedia, the will “is probably a little bit stronger”. After winning the conference championship in 2006, Titus contemplated walking away but decided not to. Even with the last few years being very tough record wise, Titus said the Beacons are “trying to rebuild and put the program back on a positive note before leaving. The program is in good shape right now, a lot of sophomores and freshmen with good grades”.But as was quickly figured out and learned, the list of accomplishments that Coach Titus has on his resume are nothing short of impressive. When asked what was his proudest accomplishment at UMass Boston, Titus said that not one in particular and there were many moments that he is proud of at school. Titus told the MassMedia that he was “fortunate to be involved in a lot of growth at the institution and it is very rewarding”. He went on to say, “there is a great leadership team out here, and there has been a lot of growth at the school”.One of the things that Mr. Titus has brought to the school as well as the athletic department is establishing the athletic department literally from top to bottom as well as the place where the athletic teams play. Coach Titus is one of the founding fathers of the Little East Conference. No athletic event or record or accomplishment can be talked about without bringing Coach Charlie Titus into the debate.As for outside of the University, Titus has been a longtime member of the Boston Parks Recreation Commission and has seen a drastic change in many of the parks in Boston. Franklin Park, where the UMass golf club team plays, has been completely re-done under Titus’ watch. Same with the Boston Commons as well as many others. Titus was quoted as saying, “the quality of our parks, our golf courses, and making them into nice places has been a lot of fun. It is a tremendous accomplishment”. Just ask the man himself and the one word he would use to describe himself is “service”. All of his life, Titus has dedicated his life to service, to always trying to help other people out and give them opportunities to succeed.Nothing perhaps shows this more than YES Africa, a program that Coach Titus does every single year. The program was actually started by the basketball manager at the time who wanted to find a way to help out his home land of Africa. Titus told him to write up a plan and see what could happen. The student, whose name was not released, wrote up a plan to start a basketball clinic for people in Africa to learn our game. The plan was so successful and was easily passed by Titus and the board that Coca-Cola fully funded the entire trip the first year. The plan called for only 100 boys the first week and 100 girls the second week to be involved. But, as Titus said, “that quickly changed as after the second day, there was over 1000”. Right from the get go, the first year was a massive hit. That is only half the story with YES Africa.The other half comes from the young adults. While over there, Titus takes a selected group of students and teaches them how to teach, to become teachers as well as learn many other skills. These skills include coming here, to UMB for a few weeks and learn the aspects of business management, technology, and sports management. These skills are learned in order to become better all around people. The coaches from Africa are trained to give them the technical skills they need, how to teach, and learn the psychological, leadership, and developmental side of the game.Overall, this is only a quick synopsis of what Coach Charlie Titus has done. Coach Titus loves helping other people and will do anything to try to help out any student or faculty member on campus right now. For such a man that has accomplished so much, Titus keeps finding ways to add to his more than impressive resume. He is the ultimate professional and is a big part of why UMass is the way it is today. It is simply about time the student body realizes all that he has accomplished and give him his due