66°

Dear John Lives Up to Expectations

Dear John Lives Up to Expectations

Dear John manages to explore almost every facet of American life. Based on a Nicholas Sparks novel, this romantic drama touches on love, loss, September 11th, spring break, sacrifice, autism, cancer, surfing, horseback riding, coin collections, class differences, the army and college life. Channing Tatum’s chest and Amanda Seyfried’s hair give stellar performances. Tatum, a former stripper who starred as a dancer in Ricky Martin’s music video for the legendary She Bangs, is perhaps the finest example of the male specimen available today. For those interested in witnessing his sharp-witted cheekbones and smooth, clever muscles, the price of the ticket is well worth the big screen experience. Seyfried, of Mean Girls fame, looks gorgeous through and through, though she does not show nearly as much skin as her co-star.Dear John is designed to give the old tear-ducts a workout, and it certainly achieves this goal. Moviegoers are advised to bring tissues. The plot is at times heart wrenching and the moronic dialogue only gets in the way on occasion. The film is rife with twists that keep most viewers engaged, even if it is against their will. However, die-hard cynics and those who are generally not sexually attracted to men should probably stay away from Dear John altogether.Although the acting itself is rarely convincing, it provides a high entertainment value. Audiences are sure to enjoy the attempts by various actors throughout the movie to talk like an average college dude, produce a southern accent, pal around like a tough bunch of soldiers, and pretend that they truly feel the emotions they are describing. The characters are extraordinarily superficial and have been carefully modeled in the shape of every cliché and stereotype imaginable, allowing the audience to relax and leave their intelligence behind for the duration of the movie.In terms of cinematography, the movie is rich with beautiful sceneries and close-ups of Seyfried’s moist lips. The director is obviously skilled at constructing montages, which are the main tool used to propel the plot. The soundtrack is pensive and full of slow melodies and warm vocals. The only true disappointment in Dear John is the fact that it’s not in 3D and therefore the price of the ticket does not include glasses.To make a long story short, dear readers, if your pocket is heavy with change, if you could use a break from intellectual preoccupations, and if you can stomach nearly two hours of sweet, unapologetic romance, Dear John might be a nice way to spend an evening. Otherwise, it may be wise to let this one slide.

Shira Kaminsky served as the following positions for The Mass Media the following years Editor-in-Chief: Spring 2012; 2012-2013 Managing Editor: Fall 2011 Arts Editor: Fall 2010