79°

Letter from the Editor

Letter from the Editor
Letter from the Editor

It’s almost spring once again, which means it’s that magical time of year when plants start budding, birds start chirping, and each and every student gets a chance to put their money where their mouth is by running in or at least voting in student elections. Student elections you say? What is this odd, pre-vernal phenomenon? Well, in case you haven’t noticed (and judging by recent voter turnout, you haven’t), we have a very large and active Student Government on this campus, consisting of a Student Senate, President, Judicial branch, and Student Trustee. I know what you’re probably thinking: If you haven’t heard of them yet, how important can they be? Well let me break it down for you.

First off, THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY! For those of you who don’t read your bills carefully or at all, there is a $37 fee that goes to some innocuous cause labeled “Student Activities”. If you could give a shit about wasting $37 a semester, or approximately $370 over the course of your time here, than you can stop reading here, you wasteful jackass. Better yet, if you don’t want your money, the Mass Media is always taking donations. If you do actually care where and how your money is being spent, then you should be interested in Student Government because they are in charge of delegating the almost quarter of a million dollars that goes into the fund supplied by this fee. Which is, again, your money.

Second, the Student Government is the best way for you to actually improve your experience here on campus by advocating for you. They are, in a way, your campus Easy Button. Want lower printing fees? Longer library hours? Funding for a humanitarian aid mission? Better wireless access on campus? Better or cheaper (or both) food in the cafeteria? These are the people to talk to. Yes, they may be at times hard to find (2nd Floor of the Campus Center), but they are actively looking for your input. As I see it, your options are to either continue to bitch to your friends and relatives, who can’t do shit and probably don’t care, or communicate with your capable student government who will fight for you, now matter how whiny, unreasonable, or post-menstrual you may be.

Now while communicating with your student government is the first step, the best way to show you care and get involved is to vote in the upcoming elections, reminders of which we will beat you over the head with until you get the point. Your right to vote and be represented by the governing body of your choosing (as long as they aren’t communists) is one of the most fundamental and important to any democracy. More importantly, if you don’t vote, you can’t complain. Ever.

Better yet, why not actually take it a step further and run for a position in the student government? There are still a few open senate seats and the application deadline isn’t until February 24 (Wednesday). In addition to power, prestige, an office on campus, printing, resume building, and generally making you sound cool to strangers you meet, a seat on the senate also comes with the power to effect positive change in your environment. You will have the ability and position to speak out against the injustice, unfairness and inadequacy that you see around you and actually do something about it. Also, professor’s eat that shit up and it will almost definitely earn you a couple of extensions and some unexcused absences.

Bottom line, even if you aren’t interested in you student government now, you damn well better be because they are interested in you, and more importantly, they have a great potential to make your lives better. Whether it is by running for office or simply voting, I cannot stress enough the need to stand up and get involved.

SincerelyBen WhelanEditor-In-Chief

Ben Whelan served for the following positions at The Mass Media for the following years: Editor-in-Chief: Spring 2009; 2009-2010. News Editor: Spring 2008; Fall 2008 Sports Editor: 2006-2007