66°

New Briefs

Ron Paul wins presidential straw pollU.S. Representative Ron Paul of Texas won a straw poll for president on the final day of the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington. While the next presidential election is in 2012, the straw poll does provide an early window into who conservative activists believe should be the next GOP nominee. Though the American physician is not as mainstream as other candidates, Paul is known as a hero to libertarians and for his views for limited federal government. –Washington PostGoogle gains clearance to buy and sell energy, take over worldThe Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) granted the internet behemoth with the authority to “buy and sell electricity in bulk like any other utility.” Google spokesperson Niki Fenwick noted that this filing by Google for “more flexibility in procuring power for Google’s own operations, including our data sectors.” Still, the company claims it has no plans to start adding electricity to the huge list of products and services it offers, but rather the purpose was to purchase more ‘green energy’ at a competitive price. –EngadgetCreepy principal harnesses technology to stalkA family accused an assistant principal at the Harrington High School for watching their son through his laptop’s webcam. The family also claims that the school official used a photo taken from the laptop to discipline the student. The school provided the laptops and the remote desktop software was installed on the basis of security. The lawsuit says that the plaintiff’s son was told that he was engaged in “improper behavior.” The FBI has opened an investigation into the allegations. –CNNWakefield bank robbed by women clothing wearing manEven more bizarre than the creepy principal was the recent robbery of two banks in Wakefield. A man clad in a gold headscarf, sunglasses and red lipstick handed notes over to tellers, demanding and escaping with an undisclosed amount of money. Though the man was in disguise, witnesses knew the suspect’s gender through his voice – a dead giveaway. –The Boston Globe