66°

Letter from the Editor

Black History Month is one of my favorite American traditions, as every year I seem to learn more and more new things about the rich history of African Americans in this country. I am consistently astounded at the breadth and depth of those who fall into the category of not getting their propers until shockingly recently as new research and discovered documents bring their accomplishments into new light. Whether it be the poetry of Gwendolyn Brooks, the writing of James Baldwin, or the stunning art of Robert Scott Duncanson, every February presents an opportunity to get to know the work of a black figure whose work may not have been appreciated for what it was at the time of its conception.Another fascinating element of Black History Month is that it lets us not only remember the history of where we have been as a culture, but provides time for reflection on where we are now as a culture and where we are going as we continue to progress in many areas and begin to correct some of the wrongs that have plagued this country since its beginnings. Ever since taking a philosophy of race course with Professor Blum, the subjects of identity and the black experience from a philosophical standpoint have been fascinating to me, and a piece by new writer Coreen Edward in this week’s Culture and Diversity section does an excellent job of exploring the issue.In this week’s spread, Opinion’s editor Stephanie Fail has put together an in-depth look at Boston’s significant role in the Civil Rights Movement which is chock full of information that you probably didn’t know about the neighborhood you go to school in. Check it out, learn something, and hopefully see a new Boston that goes far beyond the racist reputation the city has developed over the years.Keep you eyes out for more imaginary snow storms, and make sure to stock up on imaginary supplies just in case. Catch y’all next week.Sincerely yours,Ben WhelanEditor In Chief