66°

What Has Happened To Boston Sports?

What Has Happened To Boston Sports?

With so much success during the 2000s, the city of Boston has not been off to the best start in the new decade, the 2010s. During a decade, which saw 6 world championships from the four major sports teams, the first six weeks of 2010 would certainly like to be forgotten.For starters, the Patriots were a solid 10-5 on New Years Eve, having won three in a row and just coming off their most impressive win of the year against Jacksonville. The score of this game was 35-7 and it seemed as though Tom Brady and company were on their way for a deep playoff run and potentially, maybe, another run at a Superbowl. However, from January 1 on, the Pats went on to lose their regular season finale to the Houston Texans 34-27. If that was not bad enough, the Pats lost their All-Pro receiver Wes Welker to a torn ACL. All momentum from the previous three weeks was immediately lost. However, with a division title and home playoff game already locked up, the excitement was still in the air. That excitement quickly ended with a 33-14 upset loss to the Baltimore Ravens, who the Patriots previously beat 27-21 in week 4 of the season. This game was over not even five minutes into the game. Fans were still coming to their seats and the score was already 14-0. Ray Rice scored on the first play from scrimmage, a quick three and out from the Pats, and before you realized how cold it was outside, the game was out of hand. Boy wonder Tom Brady had easily his worst game ever by throwing three interceptions and only 154 yards. To make matters worse, Vince Wilfork, Stephen Gostkowski, Logan Mankins, Tully Banta-Cain, Leigh Bodden, and Kevin Faulk are all free agents. Tom Brady is a free agent after next season, so that also needs to be addressed. With a young struggling defense, no third receiver, and no legit running back, things could become ugly in Foxborough.No one has struggled more since the New Year started than the Boston Bruins. Before 2010, the B’s were a very impressive 20-12-7 while being one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference. Last season’s Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas was looking very sharp, and there was talk that maybe the Bruins could make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. After winning the Winter Classic 2-1 in OT at Fenway, the Bruins started off the New Year in a very exciting way. But since then, the Bruins recently ended a 50 year franchise worse 10 game losing streak and now stand at 24-22-11. In just more than 35 days, the Bruins have gone from one of the best teams in the NHL to fighting for a playoff spot. Three wins and ten losses in that time span is simply dumbfounding. Now with the trade deadline as well as the Olympics looming, it is now make or break time for Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli. Is the 2009-2010 Boston Bruins a playoff team or are they a team that needs to focus on 2010-2011? Personally, the Bs, need a big time scorer and need to acquire him now, as well as a veteran leader. The talent is there, but the Bs are in hibernation and need to be awaken asap.Another team who has struggled a lot more than many people anticipated has been the Boston Celtics. At Christmas day, the Celtics were an NBA Best 23-5. There was excitement in the air that with the much needed addition of Rasheed Wallace and Marquis Daniels, the Cs could challenge or beat the wins record of 72 in a reason. However, after an impressive win in Orlando on Christmas day, the Celtics went on to lose to the Clippers, Golden State, and the Suns, all on the road, in a matter of four days. The Celtics concluded 2009 with a nonetheless impressive 23-8 record and seemed to be on their way to another NBA Finals appearance. 2010 has hit the Celtics hard however and who knows if and when the dominating team that has roamed the Eastern Conference the last 3 years will return. All-Star Kevin Garnett aggravated his knee in the loss to Golden State and missed the next 10 games, which the Cs managed a 4-6 record. Also, in early December, Marquis Daniels broke his thumb and just returned on Sunday. Wallace has done nothing but miss 3’s and get technicals, Ray Allen is in a major shooting slump, Perkins has lost his offensive game but gained many technicals as well, and Paul Pierce is bothered by a foot sprain. More importantly, the Celtics have not won a home game against a team that has 30 wins. The team, with the loss to Orlando on Superbowl Sunday, is now 0-7 in such games. Really? A team that was projected to not only make it to the NBA Finals, but win them, has not beat a good team at home? How pathetic is that? There has been some bright spots of late, Rajon Rondo has grown up in front of our eyes and finally was rewarded with a spot on the All-Star team. Rondo has developed into one of the best point guards in the NBA and can be counted on to the point where he can take a big shot. Also, after a loss to Orlando on January 28, Garnett took some blame for his mediocre play and has stepped up big time. His numbers are not what they were in Minnesota, but “The Big Ticket” has showed some explosiveness in running the floor and in dunking the ball. Either way, the Celtics are not getting any younger and need to potentially shake things up. Monte Ellis for Ray Allen did sound really good until Ellis recently got injured.With all three winter teams struggling and with no set plan or major signs of leaving their struggles in the rear view mirror, spring time can not come any faster. Spring training is less than one week away and the boys of summer will be here all the way until (hopefully) October.

Andrew Otovik served as the sports editor for The Mass Media the following years: 2010-2011