63°

How To Have an Adventure Without Leaving the Greater Boston Area

Once a month the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum hosts a themed evening of art, music, and booze. For only five dollars you can spend the evening wondering through the beautiful galleries of the museum while sipping wine and enjoying the ambiance music. Trade in the stretch pants and sweatshirts for those chic cloths that are hidden away in your closet, just waiting to be worn and impress a date by showing off a little art prowess. Remember, art is all about interpretation so you can say whatever you want as long as its with confidence.6:30: When you first see the outside of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum it looks relatively unimpressive, but what really awaits inside is a wonderful collection of pieces from some of the greatest artist and a wealth of Venetian architecture. Its as though you have been transported across the Atlantic to spend the evening in Venice, one of the most unique and breathtaking cities in the world. The whole building is planned around the courtyard, which is perhaps the best feature of the museum with its exotic plants and classical sculptures. Currently at the center is a DJ Coralcola. I am sitting beneath the arches and between the columns of the half wall barricading guests from walking across the priceless mosaics on the ground of the courtyard.7:00: Tonight the theme is carnival! I have just been handed Mardi Gras beads and I didn’t have to flash anyone. The museum truly is one of the best in Boston. The collection is small enough that is manageable, you can easily take in the whole thing without becoming exhausted and overwhelmed, but rich with content. We also got to do a scavenger hunt, answering clues about pieces around the museum. 7:30: My friend Brendan and I have decided to adopt posh accents and loudly discuss a painting using ridiculously large words strung together. On top of the accent we have decided we must have wine in one had and gesticulate emphatically with the other. This is endlessly amusing as we get dirty looks from some of the more snobby looking guests. 8:00: To make sure you don’t miss some of the highlights I have assembled a list of what I believe are the pieces not to be missed:Europa by Titian- One of the greatest painters of the Venetian School of the Italian Renaissance Titian is known for his red haired voluptuous women. The painting shows the beautiful princess Europe being seduced by Zeus in the form of a bull. Turning into animals and seducing people was Zeus’ thing. Location; Third Floor, Titian RoomSelf-Portrait, Aged 23 by Rembrandt-This is probably my favorite painting in the collection. I cannot help but get butterflies in my stomach when I look up at it. The flawlessness of the paint application and the masterful use of lights and shadows makes it hard to believe Rembrandt was only 23 when he painted it. Location; Second Floor, Dutch RoomPortrait of Isabella Stewart Gardner by Sargent- Sargent is one the greatest American painters so it makes sense that Gardner would have him paint her portrait. The piece portrays a proud and strong patron, the designs of the background framing her head like a halo. Location; Third Floor, Gothic RoomThe Tragedy of Lucretia by Botticelli-The story of Lucretia comes from the end of the monarchy in ancient Rome. The kings son rapes Lucretia, whose subsequent suicide sparks the revolution that would bring about the Republic of Rome. Botticelli has created a dramatized version of these events, the dead Lucretia draped over an altar at the center of the canvas. The painting is symmetrically laid out and draws heavily on classical art and architecture. Location; Second Floor, Raphael Room