66°

Mass Media Weekly Staff Picks

Mass Media Weekly Staff Picks

Album of the WeekLet it Bleed, The Rolling StonesReleased in 1969, Let it Bleed is one of the greatest albums of all time from one of the greatest bands of all time. The eighth album released by the British band they actually lost their original guitarist Brian Jones while recording it. Let it Bleed is the perfect culmination of the tumultuous sixties. It starts out with Gimme Shelter, Mick Jagger screaming out the lyrics of a generation. The album never stops to impress with other Stones classics Monkey Man and Let it Bleed finishing off with You Can’t Always Get What You Want. A must listen!

Book of the WeekHoratio Hornblower SeriesThe Horatio Hornblower series follows the life and career of Horatio Hornblower, an officer in the British Navy spanning from the late 1700s until Hornblower’s late adulthood with a particular focus on the Napoleonic wars. Hornblower’s character was roughly based off of Horatio Nelson, British Admiral and hero of the Napoleonic Wars. The novels include fast-paced naval battles, sword fights, stories of rivals and friends, love, honor, and duty. In addition, the series dives in to the emotions of what a naval officer of the 19th century may have felt.

Artist of the WeekChristo and Jeanne-ClaudeBorn on the same day in 1935, this couple has spent decades beautifying the world in which we live through their unique brand of environmental conceptual art. The couple is most known for their enormous scale installations, such as «Wrapped Reichstag », in which the couple wrapped Germany’s primary governemnt building in fireproof polypropylene fabric. Another popular installation was «The Umbrellas » in which the couple simultaneously lined major highways in Japan and Southern California with brightly colored umbrellas. Although their pieces are breathtaking and aesthetically stunning, the couple has always insisted that their work hold no meaning deeper than the beautification of their surroundings to spread joy and happiness to those who experience them.

Movie of the WeekThe Indiana Jones TrilogyIn my opinion, nothing compares to this holy trinity. It is just so gosh darn fun that you can’t help but smile and cheer as the rugged and whip wilding Indy traverses the globe saving ancient artifacts, the world and fighting the big enemies. The sides of good and bad are not convoluted and meant to make you think, they are black and white. Harrison Ford is ridiculously good looking in his signature hat and slightly rumpled cloths. Spielberg and Lucas effortlessly blend humor, action adventure and, of course, a little bit of romance (Indy needs a girl) to create three of the greatest movies of all time.