66°

News Briefs

Haiti Earthquake ReliefJust eight days after the country’s capital was devastated by a previous quake, an aftershock shook Haiti once more on January 21st. Support the relief effort by donating to a charity today.Scott triumphs Coakley for U.S. SenateRepublican Scott P. Brown defeated Democrat Martha M. Coakley for the vacant U.S. Senate Seat on Tuesday, January 19th. Brown received 52% of the votes while Coakley managed 47%. –The Boston GlobeShort-lived Tonight Shows ends brownLast Friday marked the finale of the Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien. Leno is slated to return to hosting his Tonight show while Conan will exit the NBC network. O’Brien decided to go out with a bang by introducing skits with expensive props forcefully paid by NBC. –The Hollywood ReporterWorld’s richest man starts tweeting; breaks itBill Gates is finally catching up to the world of social media. Gates sent his first tweet on January 20th, and now has 300,000 followers, with more by the minute. Ironically enough, Twitter went down due to over capacity. –Tech RadarApple to show off its latest creationAs suggested by highly credible sources, an Apple-branded device is to be announced at Apple’s media event on January 27th. The alleged mystery device is rumored to be partial to the education market, assuming with the use of ebooks, but would also be a complete multimedia experience on a touch screen. Spoiler: It’s a tablet. –The Wall Street JournalSpiderman franchise reboot already?Sony Pictures has announced that the popular Spiderman films directed by Sam Raimi will be scrapped. Instead, the franchise is slated for a reboot with a new director and new cast. Actor Tobey Maguire was “proud of what we accomplished in the franchise over the last decade.”