63°

Boston Rock Doesn’t Die

Charlie Farren and Jon Butcher helped define 80s rock in Boston
media.massive.com

The music scene in Boston in the 1980s was rich, creative, and full of contagious energy. It was a time where in just about every corner of the city there was a club: The Rat in Kenmore Square, Bunratty’s in Allston, and Jacks in Cambridge are just a few. Clubs hosted bands every night, often three on a bill and many radio stations supported them by playing and promoting both their recordings and live shows. It was a fun and inspiring for anyone that was in a band, or knew band members, or just wanted to go to a rock show.  Recently at Scullers, I had the incredible pleasure to see two of the most defining musicians in Boston: John Butcher, previously with Johanna Wilde and John Butcher Axis and later running the Electric Factory on the West Coat and produced tracks for shows like Deadwood an the United States of Tara, and Charlie Farren, formally of the Joe Perry Project, Balloon, the Enemy and Farrenheight. The incredible career of these amazing musicians has now evolved in yet another project, Farren, Butcher Inc. Although mellowed out just a bit (though Butcher jokingly claims he’s only 26) put on a great show in a very familiar city. Welcomed by old (and hopefully) new fans, Farren and Butcher seemed grateful and humbled by it all. Songs of “Love Luck and Love” were lyrically mature but sent a message that the passion for what they do is still there and they are not going away any time soon. Butcher still swooned with his soft and sweet voice that still is capable of an emotional explosion.  Crossing genres of Blues to Rock and an amazing “Somewhere over the Rainbow” or Farren’s heartfelt and rich, “Fool in Love.” But what topped the night for many of us diehard fans was a set of “dueling 80’s” that covered highlights of  songs like  Butchers explosive “Ocean in Motion” to Farren’s “East Coast” that touched our lives here and were once big hits across the country. If you are in a band or know someone who is, check these guys out. You will see a prime example of what made Boston Rock a vital part in our city’s rich history.

Bonnie Godas served as the arts editor for The Mass Media the following years: Spring 2009; 2009-2010