66°

Where’s the Pep?

Million Dollar Idea

Going to a school that is largely commuter has its drawbacks. The lack of community on campus is not a new problem, and it can be difficult to unite as a school and come together when everyone is going home to families, jobs, and responsiblities nowhere near campus. But feeling like part of something is an important aspect of going to college. So where can we turn to find this pride and come together as one? Simple. We look the same place people have looked for years for inspiration: sports. Unfortunately, sports at UMB suffer the same problem the rest of the school does. Clearly, it should be spiced up so UMB students can see it in a new light. Why don’t we videotape big games and play them live on the TVs around campus? Or how about taking it a step further and putting together the highlights for the game? Why not have Billy Beacon walking around campus on game days? Instead of having these crowded barbaques in the Campus Center, lets set up a campus wide tailgate before games to attract students, and make for a great bonding experience. Setting up transportation to away games is not only extremely helpful for a university where a good portion of students take the T and do not have access to cars, but makes for a fun experience and can be a great way to meet other students while cheering on the Beacons. In a university of this size, there are most likely thousands of sports fans, so it’s not for lack of interest in the actual sports that UMB has so few fans at the games. It’s just that the apathy for extracurricular activities extends to sports, as well. Perhaps if we can break the cycle of apathy when it comes to sports, the apathy toward other organizations would lessen as well. By celebrating our sports teams together, the UMB campus can unite. And why not go root for the Beacons in the stands sometime? There’s nothing to lose–well, not very much to lose, other than a game.

The Editorial Board encompasses the board of people responsible for the refinement and final assessment of the newspaper. It is unclear if the editorial board is always representative of a group of people. To combat this confusion and be more direct, more recent editions of the newspaper will accredit the specific person or people on the editorial board responsible for a certain article.