66°

Beetle Mania!

Invasive Asian Longhorned Beetle leaves trail of dying trees as it makes its way across New England and surrounding area
MassMedia/CreativeCommons

The Asian Longhorned Beetle, or ALB, is actively mating in Massachusetts, as well as much of New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Illinois and Ohio. According to advertisements between South Station outbound and Broadway and many other T Stops, much of the State’s hardwood tree populations are at stake. The ALB is dreaded for its capability of destroying hardwood trees like maple, willow, and mountain ash. The beetle breaks into the surface of its victims to lay eggs. Once the eggs hatch, and the larva matures, it burrows deep into the tree. One year later the mature beetle emerges, burrowing back out of the poor violated tree. Interestingly, the female beetles will generally use the same tree for this process until the tree eventually dies. This invasive species is considered highly dangerous to trees but not harmful to humans or pets. The advertisements urge immediate reporting of this beetle or round holes in any neighborhood trees. The beetle is typically one to one and a half inches long with large antenna and is black with distinctive white spots. Visit BeetleBusters.info for more details, pictures, and array of fun facts.

Ariel Rodriguez served as the following positions for The Mass Media the following years: Arts Editor: Fall 2011 *Music Editor: 2010-2011 *The position of music editor was developed in Fall 2010, and disappeared in Fall 2012. Elizabeth Dow served as music editor from 2011-2012.