63°

Wicked Political

Karyn+Polito+and+Ed+McGrath%0A+
MassMedia/CreativeCommons
Karyn Polito and Ed McGrath

If you happen to have recently forgotten the incompetence of current Democratic Massachusetts leaders, their inadequacy to run this state, and how “out of touch” they really are with reality let me give you a brief reminder. The Massachusetts House has just recently passed a $400 million spending bill, destroying any attempt from State Rep. Karyn Polito or any other Representative to block this ridiculous bill. I partially blame Rep. Polito for her role in allowing this bill to pass. She was holding on to a five day block of the bill only to see her attempts eradicated because, on October 4th, 2010, she couldn’t show up to work on time. Punctuality is something I practice daily, and something I would especially exercise so close to Election Day while running for State Treasurer. The spending bill is, as can be expected in Massachusetts, charged by the majority leading Democrats. Without any doubt in my mind the passing of this bill was a last attempt for Democrats to appease the people and win votes while Election Day creeps around the corner. But is it the right thing to do? Let me remind you that the state has an unemployment rate around 9.1%, is $2.3 billion in debt, and still has four banks that owe TARP loans. With no cuts to be made in sight the future continues to look grim. Senate Republicans will try their best to thwart Democrats attempts to pass this bill. Senate Minority Leader Richard Tisei fears that the true financial position of the state is being hidden until after the November 2nd elections. If you happen to know anything about Massachusetts politics this comes as no surprise. The constant cycle of spending and tax increases is second nature to the liberals on Beacon st. There is only so much you can spend, and only so much you can tax. Tisei also says he is hearing talks “about a potential post-election tax increase.” As the old saying goes, “After we have eaten, we forget there is such a thing as hunger.” According to data collected from the Census 1 in 7 Americans live in poverty. 1 in 7 of our friends and family could very well be hungry. There seems to be a lack of morals and value in Massachusetts. People seem to only care about themselves. When I go and vote this upcoming November I will have certain leaders in mind, leaders who will not be afraid to make the hard choices, like cutting bloated state employee salaries. Everything has a repercussion and we all can start seeing much grayer times.