66°

The Fantastic Disagreement: “What is the most important scene in Star Wars?”

Rodriguez+Ariel+supports+Hutt%3Fs+Palace%0A+
MassMedia/CreativeCommons
Rodriguez Ariel supports Hutt?s Palace

What’s the most important scene in any Star Wars movie? Take a second and think about it. Despite whatever came to mind, there’s one element that the movie revolves around. I’ve got two words for you, Cantina Bar. Before this scene in episode four, all Luke did was complain about Uncle Owen for 40 minutes. R2D2 was thinking, “Beep- boop bee,” which roughly translates to “Get over it.” If R2 wasn’t thinking it I sure as hell was. The Cantina Bar scene introduced us to one of the most ba- dass men in the galaxy, Han “My Shit Don’t Stink” Solo. Not to mention, the furriest sex symbol since Ron Jeremy, Chewbacca. This scene was the first real glimpse of the numerous species to be marveled at throughout the series. These aliens were so vividly depicted, that even though they didn’t speak in a comprehensible language you could still get a feel for their personality. They were like most people on earth; the majority of them were difficult to deal with. As if that wasn’t enough, this scene also contains the first explicit use of the almighty lightsaber. Yeah! Old Ben Kenobi cut that enemy’s arm off! Of course one of the most classic moments is the exchange be- tween Greedo and Solo. Han is one badass mo-fo; killed Greedo and didn’t even mess up his due. What is the one thing that is being left out that is absolutely essential to the Cantina Bar? That’s right – the fine looking gentlemen known as Figrin D’an and the Modal Nodes, but better known as The Cantina Band. My life would be a little dimmer if it weren’t for this amazing song that they play on an endless loop. Clearly the greatest scene in the Star Wars universe is the maj- esty of Jabba the Hutt’s Palace in Return of The Jedi. Perhaps you are thinking, “the galactic crime boss of all galac- tic crime bosses has one of the coolest lairs I’ve ever witnessed, plus it is handicap accessible.” I think we all know Jabba wasn’t a big fan of The Stairmaster, but what a fabulous Rancor pit. The claymation used in creating that extraterrestrial badass was a revelation; surly at the time this technology was mind-blowing. It’s more than just the actual design of Hutt manor. There is a plethora of species widely varied to stimulate your imagination, lots of manly bounty hunters, robots to serve your every need, and even warthog-men to guard the doors. What more could a boy ask for? Some of the major events that happened in this marvelous scene have been ingrained in the minds of nerds for generations. The big one is seeing Luke Skywalker as a true Jedi master for the first time. He was calm, cool, and collected when he kicked that Rancor’s ass! Another huge moment was the unfreezing of Han Solo. I must say he still looked very regal for a man who was frozen in carbonite. I wouldn’t be opposed to the suggestion that the most important thing in the entire sequence was princess Leia in her golden two-piece. Of course this is only one man’s opinion, be sure that it is the correct one.

Ariel Rodriguez served as the following positions for The Mass Media the following years: Arts Editor: Fall 2011 *Music Editor: 2010-2011 *The position of music editor was developed in Fall 2010, and disappeared in Fall 2012. Elizabeth Dow served as music editor from 2011-2012.