66°

Boston Fashion Week Accessible Chic

My+Darlings%2C+My+Queens+ROCCA+Boston%0A+
Photo by Cecile Carroca
My Darlings, My Queens ROCCA Boston

The few days leading up to Boston Fashion Week (BFW) had me riddled with anxiety. All I could think about was how I would measure up to all the tall, leggy beauties with perfectly coifed hair, flawless skin and expertly tailored threads. And then there were the women to contend with. As a self-professed fashion junkie, my image of fashion week was all New York: models, photographers, inaccessible designer fashion, and lots of cheek kissing. In anticipation, I expertly planned out my outfits in advance, struggling to toe the line between tenacious re- porter who wants to be taken seriously and fashion enthusiast with a penchant for high heels and dramatic pants. It turned out that I was misguided. Boston Fashion Week had none of the exclusiv- ity of New York or Paris fashion weeks. Most of the events were free and open to the public, just as Jay Calderin, BFW’s founder and executive director, intended it. In a statement on his website, Calderin wrote, “I’d like to personally extend a chal- lenge to both the creative forces behind the week and their audiences, to think dif- ferently about fashion. Shrug off pre-conceived notions. Delve into the possibilities. Experiment, with everything.” And experimentation there was, on the runway and off. Neutrals might have domi- nated the fall color scheme, but BFW and its participants were anything but neutral. Phenomena 2010 Black Tie Charity Gala Larz Anderson Auto Museum, Brookline Phenomena 2010 featured War 4 Love, a runway show from Bless by Bless and SooDee, to benefit Christopher’s Haven, an organization which offers hous- ing for families of children being treated for cancer at Mass General Hospital. On the Runway, short skirts, sexy boots and knee length trench coats were definitely in. With a black-tie dress code, the guests provided almost as much intrigue as the models. Cocktail dresses and suits and ties were the go-to gar- ments for the night. Runway Repurposed Stack the Racks Liberty Hotel Attendees of Runway Repurposed were encouraged to donate two or more garments to Boomerangs, the popular Jamaica Plane re-sale store, which donates a percentage of its profits to AIDS Action, a charity organization. The show, which was a benefit for the AIDS Action, combined clothing from Boomerang’s Special Edition Boutique (a popular re-sale store in Jamaica Plane) and 20th Century Lim- ited’s vintage jewelry, for a modern-day meets vintage runway show. Styles on stage were old world glam meets urban chic with fur, long jackets, wide-leg trousers and tailored skirts. My Darlings, My Queens ROCCA Boston Sam Mendoza, a boston-based designer displayed a live col- lection of his Fall 2010 line at ROCCA. Mendoza’s beautiful designs and skill were definitely highlighted in this collec- tion. His rich color palette, choice of silky fabric, drapery, bare shoulders and long flowing dresses paired with sultry hair and makeup epitomized elegance.