63°

THe USG Insider

PresNeil
Creative Commons
PresNeil

The USG Insider: Last week I wrote about “improved visibility, more community outreach and better collaboration”. This week I want to elaborate on one of these points further. Why is visibility important? Well, your student government aims to work in the best interest of its constituents. For the sake of a point, let’s accept this as true. At times and in varying degrees, and this is by no means unique to UMB alone, university student governments have existed as a sort of tenebrous establishment. No matter how dynamic an individual or how commanding an institution, success is minimal if it is unseen or unshared. Government works poorly if is not transparent, cannot be engaged and goes challenged – in other words, if it is not visible. When I started as a senator I heard tell of how we had an “apathetic campus” or a “disengaged student body”. These assertions were espoused by my counterparts as good as fact. Well I charged then, and I will reiterate now, that if a student government does not do all that it can to be visible and accessible, then it is the student government that is disengaged and apathetic. Visibility, as I wrote last week, is one part of what we are, and it is an important pillar in our foundation. If you feel that you don’t see us around campus enough, that you can’t see exactly how we are serving you on our website UMBgov. com, or if there is a way you know we can be more visible, please contact us! Please visit us at UMBgov. com. We want your insight and guidance to direct the future and success of the UMass Boston community. If you would like to get more involved go to: UMBgov.com/volunteer. With the many ways available for you to participate it’s easy to accommodate your schedule. I can be reached by email at: [email protected] and by phone at: 617-444-9432, or you can meet me at my office on the 2nd floor of the Campus Center, room 2404. My office hours are Tuesdays 3:15-5:15 pm and Thursdays from 3:15-6:15 pm. It is an honor to serve you and I hope to meet many of you in person. I am always inspired by your ideas of how to make the UMass Boston community the best it can be. We hope that many of you stopped by to meet us at our Station Stop (today/yesterday/?) [It will be on Tues 9/14. Likely Day of MassMedia issue? Edit accordingly] for a hot beverage, a bite to eat and a chat with members of your Undergraduate Student Government. Whether you did stop by or not, some of you may still be wondering… “What can my student government do for me?” The answer: Many things! Visit us online at UMBgov.com. Do you want to start a club or ask about funding for your active club? Do you want to get more involved on campus, find out the results of any of our surveys, participate in or suggest a new survey? Do you want to know how we are allocating the Student Activities Trust Fund (SATF). Well these are a few committees that can help with some of these topics and many more: The Student Events and Organizations Committee (SEOC) SEOC is responsible for overseeing and funding all Registered Student Organizations on campus. You can find a list of clubs at www.clubs.umb.edu. You can contact SEOC at [email protected] . Campus and Community Affairs (CCA) CCA is responsible for interacting between the USG and the student body. CCA polls hundreds of students to find out what is important to them and uses this data to develop goals and campaigns for the entire USG. Students who are looking for help from the USG and cannot find specific information should contact CCA. If it isn’t covered by another committee or branch, then CCA is here to help! You can contact CCA at [email protected] Budget and Finance Committee The Budget and Finance Committee is responsible for allocating the Student Activities Trust Fund (STAF), which is made up of the Student Activities fee. This fund covers all student clubs, the Office of Student Activities and Leadership, the Harbor Art Gallery, the Student Arts and Events Council, as well as funding for special events and new student initiatives. You can contact B&F at [email protected] Visit us online! UMBgov.com. Your involvement with the USG is what makes many interactions for the whole campus community more efficient, more enjoyable, and more meaningful. If you wish to participate actively with the USG in any roll, large or small, we encourage you to sign up and volunteer. Do this by visiting us online at UMBgov.com/volunteer, or stop by the USG office on the 2nd floor of the Campus Center in room 2404, or call our office at 617-287-7970 and leave your name, contact information and interests