66°

UMB Womens Hockey Coach Skates Up to Harvard

With the start of the UMass Lady Beacon’s hockey regular season less than a month away, a gaping hole is currently void. That void is of former head coach Maura Crowell. Earlier this month, Crowell left the UMASS Boston campus to become the new assistant on Harvard’s staff. Crowell’s departure might bring a bevy of emotions to a school that had a team on the rise. The women’s team from 2009-2010 went an impressive 17-9-0, making that an all time school-best. It was that record, and the breakout play, that made Crowell the ECAC East coach of the year. Having covered the team last year, one thing was clear: Crowell was a teacher and a student. She was always willing to learn, whether it be from her fellow coaches or players. Coach Crowell cannot be described in one word because that would be unfair to her as a person. “She is professional, compassionate, thorough and clearly a big believer in this university, its mission and its athletic programs,” said Charlie Titus, the athletic director and men’s basketball coach. “Maura Crowell moved our women’s hockey team from infancy to a respectable conference member challenging for the title year in year out.” How did the Harvard offer even come into play? Earlier this summer, Harvard women’s hockey coach Katey Stone asked Crowell to join the USA Women’s staff at the Women’s National Festival, held in Lake Placid in mid August. It was even prior to the selection that Stone realized what Crowell has to offer the game of hockey. “I met Coach Crowell a few times before, from coaches forums held at Harvard. She was very mature, very poised and extremely confident,” said Coach Stone. “She was eager to learn and seemed like a great addition to our staff”. The decision to leave UMB and go to Harvard was actually an opportunity that Crowell simply could not say “no” to. “It was an incredibly difficult decision to leave a great place like UMB, but this opportunity was too perfect to pass up.”Harvard is very lucky to be getting a coach of Crowell’s stature. In her five years at UMass Boston, she never finished a year below .500 and had at least one home playoff game each season. “Coach Crowell was our second coach of women’s hockey. She started when the program was still pretty much in the infancy stage,” said Coach Titus, reminding his colleague’s long time involvement in the team. “During her five-year tenure she enjoyed the second highest winning percentage of all active coaches in the conference. In her first year with us she established the no nonsense coaching style and consistent performances.” Being a great leader and ambassador to the campus, what can she bring to Harvard? According to Stone, many things. “She brings great passion for the game, confidence in herself, great role model, and will make the program better top to bottom.” Stone is almost certain about whether Crowell’s potential end there, or she can one day be a head coach on a campus like Harvard:”Absolutely she can. She has what it takes and is very supportive of young women. Having someone like her on my staff will create opportunities down the road” One thing is clear. Coach Maura Crowell will be difficult to replace. However, she also deserves to be recognized for what she did for the Lady Beacons as well as UMassBoston as a whole. She will greatly be missed, while being an excellent addition to what should be a very good Harvard Crimson team. Best wishes Coach.

Andrew Otovik served as the sports editor for The Mass Media the following years: 2010-2011