66°

Smash Season

UMB Baseball Team celebrates after winning the Little East Championship.

They say in life that success can breed many things. For the UMass Boston baseball team success is breeding motivation for even more success.

“I feel honored to be a part of such a great team,” said second baseman Ryan Walsh in response to the Beacon’s historic 2010 season. “We worked very hard every day on the field and off. I feel the team deserved to accomplish what we did.”

In 2010 the baseball Beacons pulled off the most successful season in school history. They finished the year with a school record of 32-17, and became the first UMB squad to win the Little East Championship, allowing them to advance to their first ever Division III College World Series. They were ranked 12th in the final NCBWA/D3Baseball.com poll and they were honored at Boston City Hall and the State House for their efforts.

Not too shabby for a team that only played 6 “home” games at a field 15 miles from campus.

“Being the first baseball team to win the LEC title and then to go on to win the New England championship was a great feeling,” sixth year coach Brendan Eygabroat stated while reflecting on his team’s achievements. “Looking back I am very proud of what the team accomplished. Winning the LEC was my goal when I took the job, and to reach that goal felt great.”

Eygabroat added that, “The players really worked hard last year and pulled together as a unit and that was great to see. The guys really put team goals first and that is why we had so much success.”

It was that unity and commitment that served as the catalyst for achieving their goals. “Hard work and dedication pay off,” stated Walsh, who still sees the season as a bit of an aberration. “The experience of winning the LEC tournament and playing in the NCAA tourney was amazing. It was something out of a dream”

Coach Eygabroat was proud of his squad and understood the significance of their achievements, noting how “the team played very well during the tournaments and we really responded well to pressure and adversity during those two weeks. Being one of the final 8 teams in division three at the College World Series was really fun.”

But the coach was also very confident in his bunch and he knew what they were capable of.

“We felt like we belonged after not losing a game in either of the previous two tournaments,” he added.

Asked if the successes of 2010 will weigh more on the 2011 season, Coach Eygabroat responded, “I wouldn’t say there is more or less pressure after last year. I put a lot of pressure on myself as the head coach, but the team has really been able to stay loose and confident.”

Last season’s team consisted of 22 freshmen, sophomores and juniors, which is why he has a positive feeling heading into the 2011 season. He declared that the team will “return a really solid core that should be able to gel well with a very talented incoming class.”

The success has helped to instill a great deal of confidence within the program, which has been contagious. Ryan Walsh exudes this confidence and knows the importance of building off of it. Entering his senior season he sounds like someone who is highly motivated and ready to step up to the next challenge.

“I feel that the success that we as a team had in 2010 will only make us go out and work harder and be more ready than ever before,” he asserts. “I have complete confidence in our team to do well and to work hard to get the job done this upcoming baseball season.”

“Success is a motivator because the guys know what it feels like to be on top of the league and New England,” adds Coach Eygabroat. “We plan on doing everything possible to defend our league title and hopefully get back to Regionals.”

Although the team will have plenty of time to reflect on their accomplishments from the past season, this sounds like a team that is already eager to build off of the success of 2010.

Coach Eygabroat concluded that, “2010 was a great season and a historic season for UMass Boston. Now our focus is on 2011 and making more history.”

With this type of motivation already in the team’s mind, this success could certainly mean another historic moment in 2011.

“We felt like we belonged after not losing a game in either of the previous two tournaments.”

With this type of motivation already in the team’s mind, this success could certainly mean another historic moment in 2011